2016 APQ UFO Challenge List

Sunday, March 19, 2017

February 2017 Recipes

It's been a while since I posted any recipes we've been making. We've tried a few new dishes, but also have such a good collection of recipes now that we have a good rotation of meals with the existing recipes. Here are the new ones we tried last month: 

Let's start with Baked Ziti with Crumb Topping. This was in a "Meals in Minutes" article from a 2001 Family Circle! Now that's a recipe that's spent a while in the folder! This was good - the right amount of cheese and topping, and good flavor. It would be a great dish to bring along to a pot luck or for a big family dinner. 

Next up is one that will be hard to replicate.  It is called Grandma's Burrito Wraps and it was yummy. It is made with a mix packet from The Jam Farm in Michigan. I picked it up last summer when we were vacationing in the area. I should have gotten a couple spice packets! 

While we eat a lot of pork/ham in our house, we don't have pork chops very much, but I got a hankering for them a few weeks ago and found this great recipe for Parmesan Crusted Pork Chops. They were really tasty and had a nice cheesy crunch. This is the way to dress up a pork chop! 

Last up is Sausage Ziti Bake (that I had to make with Mostaciolli, since there was no ziti in the store!). It is from what is probably my favorite cookbook - the Fix It and Enjoy It Cookbook. We've had great luck with recipes from this cookbook and this one was no exception. 
In addition to these good recipes, we also enjoyed a variety of treats that my daughter has been cooking (no pictures of these) - muffins, samoa cookie bars, mint brownies...yum! 

Sunday, March 5, 2017

February 2017 Stash and UFO Report

Those of you who have read my monthly post about my accomplishments won't be surprised to read that I didn't make much difference in my stash this month. 

I used a little stash for the backs of my pillows. I am really pleased with how these turned out and look forward to getting over to Joann's so that I can pick up some pillow forms and get these on my couch. They should fit well in my living room. 
On the UFO front, APQ picked #8 and Judy Laquidara picked #9. I pulled them both out - #8 is an embroidery towel kit that I purchased several years ago. I got the design put onto the towel and it is now in my embroidery bag ready to go when I work on that next. My plan is to spend one stitching session on embroidery between each cross stitch project. #9 is my Chinese Coins quilt top that I made at my fall retreat last year. It is from batik scraps and is a small wall quilt - 24x20. I pulled a back for it and got it prepped and loaded on my quilt frame. I didn't touch it again for the rest of February, but last night I got to it and got it quilted and earlier today I got it bound. Now I just need to tie off threads from a few thread breaks and some intentional starts and stops. I should have a full picture by the end of the month. 

Here's the official stash report: 

Fabric added this month: 0 yards
Fabric used this month: 1 3/8 yards

Fabric added year to date: 2 3/4 yards
Fabric used year to date: 4 7/8 yards

Net fabric used: 2 1/8 yards

Saturday, March 4, 2017

February Accomplishments

It is a bit of a misnomer to title this blog post accomplishments, because it was a month of not much getting done on the crafting front. The weather here in February was unseasonably warm and I guess we spent more time out and about than hanging around the house. 

We finally finished painting my son's bedroom, a project started two years ago, then he had second thoughts...I finally talked him into letting us finish it and see how he liked it when it was all done, with a promise that we'd repaint if he didn't like it in the end. He does like it now that it's done - phew! Now we can move on to the next painting project - the living room/kitchen area. I've painted about 6 different squares on the wall, but can't quite find a shade I like. We have a cookie booth at Lowe's tomorrow, so I think I will look there and see if something else catches my eye. 
The new blue (please pardon the mess of a little boy's room)
On the sewing front, I had 4 1/2 hours in the sewing room. I worked on transferring Girl Scout patches from Junior sashes to Cadette sashes, helped my friend Pam load and quilt a top, pulled some fabric to work on a UFO, and finished up my pillows that I started in January - I just need to pick up pillow forms for them. I used a great tutorial on Moda Bake Shop for concealing the zipper and I think they turned out pretty well. The tutorial is in this post, which also has a really cute pillow!

Pam with her quilted top
A picture from the back so you can see the variety of quilting. 

Back of two pillows and front of the third
On the stitching front, it was a bit of a heartbreaking month. I got pretty far along with my Easter sampler called Primitive Egg, then realized that I had used two strands of floss in almost the whole thing instead of 1 strand. It really started to look to heavy as I started the alphabet, so I spent three stitching sessions ripping out. 
After all he ripping out :(
By the time I was done, I just needed to put it away for a while, so I pulled out one of the kits I planned to work on this year and got started on it. There's no picture with this one, but it looks like it is stitching up well - Lady Liberty - a kit from Janlynn that was given to me by another stitcher who was removing it from her stash. This one is going relatively quickly, so I hope to have a finish in March. Maybe after that, I will feel like going back to the Easter project. 
Although March is going to be a busy month, I hope to make some more time for crafting so that I have a little to show you in a few weeks!