2016 APQ UFO Challenge List

Saturday, March 4, 2017

February Accomplishments

It is a bit of a misnomer to title this blog post accomplishments, because it was a month of not much getting done on the crafting front. The weather here in February was unseasonably warm and I guess we spent more time out and about than hanging around the house. 

We finally finished painting my son's bedroom, a project started two years ago, then he had second thoughts...I finally talked him into letting us finish it and see how he liked it when it was all done, with a promise that we'd repaint if he didn't like it in the end. He does like it now that it's done - phew! Now we can move on to the next painting project - the living room/kitchen area. I've painted about 6 different squares on the wall, but can't quite find a shade I like. We have a cookie booth at Lowe's tomorrow, so I think I will look there and see if something else catches my eye. 
The new blue (please pardon the mess of a little boy's room)
On the sewing front, I had 4 1/2 hours in the sewing room. I worked on transferring Girl Scout patches from Junior sashes to Cadette sashes, helped my friend Pam load and quilt a top, pulled some fabric to work on a UFO, and finished up my pillows that I started in January - I just need to pick up pillow forms for them. I used a great tutorial on Moda Bake Shop for concealing the zipper and I think they turned out pretty well. The tutorial is in this post, which also has a really cute pillow!

Pam with her quilted top
A picture from the back so you can see the variety of quilting. 

Back of two pillows and front of the third
On the stitching front, it was a bit of a heartbreaking month. I got pretty far along with my Easter sampler called Primitive Egg, then realized that I had used two strands of floss in almost the whole thing instead of 1 strand. It really started to look to heavy as I started the alphabet, so I spent three stitching sessions ripping out. 
After all he ripping out :(
By the time I was done, I just needed to put it away for a while, so I pulled out one of the kits I planned to work on this year and got started on it. There's no picture with this one, but it looks like it is stitching up well - Lady Liberty - a kit from Janlynn that was given to me by another stitcher who was removing it from her stash. This one is going relatively quickly, so I hope to have a finish in March. Maybe after that, I will feel like going back to the Easter project. 
Although March is going to be a busy month, I hope to make some more time for crafting so that I have a little to show you in a few weeks! 

2 comments:

Donna T said...

You did get a lot accomplished although it may not feel like it! I am always amazed just how much working moms get done! Painting a room is a huge endeavor and it looks great! Glad your son likes it!!!

Carol said...

Your son's room looks great, Jennifer! And you are doing MUCH better than we are. We just painted our middle son's room after 25 years of living with his green plaid/mallard duck bordered walls :) He has been out of the house now for 9 years so it's about time we got busy!

I'm so sorry about the ripping out--we all know how frustrating that can be as only a stitcher knows just how long a simple one-inch square takes to finish! Lady Liberty is off to a great start, though!