Week 1 - didn't quilt a thing!
Week 2 - The week of major progress
1. Cherish Nature - this was the one that started it all. I knew I didn't want to do an all-over but struggled with what to do. In the end, I decided to just start. I wound up ripping out my first set of stitches because I didn't like them, then settled in on something else. I wound up with etch-a-sketch in the outer border, stitch in the ditch around the inner border, and cucumber vine across the majority of the panel. I did not stitch over the eggs in hopes they'd pop a little, and then I thread sketched the nest. It felt so wierd but it was really fun! I would definitely do it again! I finished binding this early in September.
|Etch-a-sketch and some wobbly stitch-in-the-ditch|
|Cucumber vine across most of the panel|
|Thread sketching in the nest and around the eggs|
3. Halloween Table Runners - there were two, but I quilted them at the same time and used the same backing, so I am counting them as one. I used the same bobbin thread, but different top threads for each one. I have one fully bound, and it will be headed to Michigan this week. The other is in my binding bag and I hope to get it done this week. I had a great print from Lois' stash to use for the back of these.
Weeks 3 & 4 - I made the back for quilt #4 which wasn't actually a quilt, and got it partially loaded. I was more focused on my french braid quilt during these weeks.
Week 5 - Finishing it all up
4. Burlap bag - I totally forgot to take a picture of this one, but my mom's boss, Terri, asked me to quilt some burlap embroidered fabric she got to make a bag. I was a little concerned when I started because the weave of the fabric was so different than cotton, but it quilted up fine. Hopefully Terri will post on her blog when she makes the bag and then I will link to it.
So, I did it! Just by the skin of my teeth (the bag came off the frame on Sunday night of week 5)! I am glad I challenged myself and it got me moving - I might still have Cherish Nature staring back at me if I hadn't done something!
The really good news is that I now only have two quilts that are ready to be quilting (top+back+batting all ready), and I hope to load one of them tomorrow. I have no current plans for another challenge, but I am sure it won't be too long before I need one again!