January 2021 Quilting and Reports

I hope you've had a good start to the year - I have once again been so grateful for my hobbies which help take my mind off the crazy stuff going on in the world and country! I made good use a long MLK weekend and a sewing overnight with my mom this month and finished up some fun projects. I am going to cover the quilts today and will share the stitching later this week. 

The month started with a goal of getting Jack's quilt top finished - I started this End of the Rainbow quilt for him last year as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and finished up the final scrap blocks at the start of the month, then got the quilt assembled over MLK weekend. It is a big top with lots of royal blues and a ton of scraps - it will fit a twin XL bed, which is good because he is already about 6'1" at 13! The best news is that he still likes it :) You can see the pictures on my last blog post

In the midst of piecing Jack's quilt, I decided to finish up a top that my daughter started years ago and finished in late 2019. I had a great back for this quilt of paper dolls on pink, so I decided to finish it up. We will hold onto this for the time and use it when we have a good opportunity. I had a little fun with quilting this one and did rows of different designs, with a large feather design across the stripes of pink fabric. Some rows were better than others, but it was great for some practice. 

Another older quilt had some progress this month - I am playing along with the UFO challenge again this year, and the first top selected is this one that I made in 2016 but hadn't yet quilted, a common theme with most of my UFOs. I made the back with a cream colored Kona cotton, loaded it onto the frame for quilting, and then stared at it for two weeks, as I didn't quite know how to quilt it. I finally got started with the quilting today and it is about halfway done. I will share a picture when I have the quilting finished and have found some binding for it. 

The last quilt top that was worked on this month is a kit that I bought a long time ago - before 2010 when I started stash reporting. I am pretty sure that one of the kids was with my and in a stroller when I bought this kit on sale after the holidays. I pulled it out late last year to work on during my November sewing weekend with my mom, and I decided it was time to finish it. I used my Scan N Cut to cut out the starts and snowflakes, and fused them and the snowmen across the middle this weekend. I am so pleased with how this cute quilt looks and can't wait to quilt it up for next holiday season. 

Simply Snowmen quilt top
Close-up of the middle section

In addition to all the quilt tops, I also made a few new masks for my daughter - she is returning to school this week for the first time since March and wanted a few fresh masks.

And I also made another cross-stitch project bag. I followed the video by Calico this time and it was really great - I think this is the best one I've made so far, and I will be putting my ornament stitching into it. 

Phew, it was a busy month in the sewing room - glad that I was able to make the time to get all these projects moved along. 

For my stash report with Donna at Quilt Paint Create, I only used fabric this month, so the numbers look pretty good: 
Fabric added this month: 0 yards
Fabric used this month and year-to-date: 6 1/4 yards

For the stitching time report with Kate at Life In Pieces, I had a great month, with 30/31 days of stitching time (for me, that can include quilting, cross-stitch, embroidery, crochet, or Scan n Cut activities) for 97%.

I hope you enjoyed seeing the quilting projects I worked on this month - I will be back soon to share the stitching. 

Comments

Donna said…
Wow, great report! Love the holiday row by row and the project bag. I've thought about making project bags, but I generally work on one stitch project at a time. Wish I had the same habit with quilts.
Jennifer, what a fabulous month you had with your quilting (and your stitching)! I enjoyed seeing your quilt tops become quilts along with the new masks and project bag. Good for you on having another sewing weekend with your Mom! Happy February!
Kate said…
Wow! You did have an excellent January on the quilting side of things. The Christmas quilt is really cute. And how fun to have finished off your daughter's first go at quilt making. Fingers crossed that February is as good on both the quilting and the stitching fronts.