Design Wall Monday - End of the Rainbow

 It's been quite a while since I shared a Design Wall Monday post, but with the holiday today, I had a chance to finish up a quilt top and thought it would be fun to share. I started this project last year as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge hosted by Angela at SoScrappy. It seems like I can pull out a quilt for this challenge about every two years instead of every year! 

My son asked me for a new quilt for his bed, as he keeps growing taller and taller! We looked at a few patterns and selected End of the Rainbow, the cover quilt from Irish Chain Quilts by Melissa Corry. I've loved this quilt since I bought the book, so I was glad to finally make it. 

The blocks start like this - lots of scrappy sewing to put together a 9" square. Then you cut that up and attach it to the background fabric. They make for great leader/ender blocks. 

Scrap blocks from several weeks

We decided to do dark backgrounds instead of lights, so I dug through my stash to find all the medium/dark blues that I could, and then I dug into my mom's stash, and then I bought a little more to add to it! In all, I think I used about 12-15 different blues in the background. 

Test blocks - I made sure he liked it before I went any further!

Over the course of last year, I made scrap blocks here and there, but really got serious in late November. I finished up the last scrap block a few weeks ago and then got to piecing all the blocks. Once those were done, I was ready to lay it out and put it together, which was the plan for this weekend. 

I am happy to say that all went according to plan and I now have a quilt top done that should be big enough for a Twin Long mattress, which he will need to move into soon. I just loaded another quilt on my frame, so while I am working on that, I will also dig through the stash to see if I can come up with a good backing. If not, I will purchase some fabric for a back and my hope is to get it quilted and on his bed by his birthday on March 1. 

Please ignore old toys in the background - this quilt took up the whole floor!

I am really happy to have the top finished and looking forward to the next steps. I will have to think about another project I can do as leader/ender now as I've gotten so used to having something to piece while I am doing other things. 

Hope you like my End of the Rainbow top! I am linking up with Judy at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday.

Comments

Bonnie said…
WOW! I LOVE your End of the Rainbow quilt. It is wonderful. I don't always do the RSC but I've enjoyed what I have done. I've got two quilts waiting to be quilted that I may do soon. Congrats on getting it this far. And I hope you get it quilted soon. Please tell me you don't hand quilt it??
Laura said…
End of the Rainbow looks great with a dark background!
This is gorgeous, Jennifer! I love it! And the dark background is perfect.
Carol said…
What a beauty, Jennifer! Glad your son had some input on it and I'm sure he'll relish having a longer twin bed to put it on :)
Kate said…
Wow! That dark blue background really works with the other colors. Hopefully he still loves it. I have made quilts the SIT loved when I started, but by the time I finished, she wasn't interested in them anymore. Not so much now that she's older. Of course now if I finish something she likes, she just takes it back to college with her.