March 2017 Stash Report and Accomplishments

My month of May was a busy one - in addition to the normal mom, work, and home duties, I took my Girl Scout troop camping, went to Belgium for a week for work, and took a quick overnight with my mom and kids to get them out of town for Spring Break. 

Given all that was going on, I didn't make too much time for quilting or stitching, except in small fits. 

In the sewing room, I worked on two UFOs. I quilted and bound my Chinese Coins quilt, which I showed a picture of in my UFO recap yesterday. I made this at my fall retreat last year out of cuts of batik from my scrap bin. It was a fun one to make and I love the bright colors. As soon as I get the hanging sleeve stitched down, this will go on the wall in my sewing area. 

The other UFO I worked on is my Hunters Star quilt made with Mary Englebreit's Holly Jolly fabric line, which came out several years ago. I inherited the layer cake and jelly roll used to make this pattern from Lois (you can see Letters to Lois for the whole story on my stash inheritance if you aren't familiar with it). I used a big cut of yardage from the same line and a couple cuts of holiday fabric from my holiday bin to piece a back, and then I pieced together the batting from scraps. It made a small dent in my batting scrap bag - I really need to do that more often! 
Hunters Star back
I got the quilted loaded and quilted right before I left for Belgium, and now it sits waiting for a binding. I will dig around to see if I can find something I like or find the leftover jelly roll pieces to make a scrappy binding. 

On the stash additions, we stopped at a great small quilt shop in Greensburg, IN on the way to our spring break trip in Cincinnati. They really have great kits in this shop and I found a cute one on the sale rack that will make a good Christmas present. I plan to cut out the pieces and take it to my spring retreat with me. I also picked up a cat coin purse pattern, which I will make for my daughter, was gifted a purse pattern from a bee friend, and picked up a jansjo clip on light from Ikea (because you can never have enough of them!). 
Mar 2017 Additions

So, for the stash report, I used a little and bought a little, but bought less than I used so am still moving in the right direction, even if slowly. 

Fabric used this month: 3 5/8 yards
Fabric added this month: 1 yard

Fabric used year to date: 8 1/2 yards
Fabric added year to date: 3 3/4 yards

Net fabric used: 4 3/4 yards

In other news, I picked up pillow forms for the pillows I finished in February, and they are now perched on the couch. I love how they turned out! 

On the stitching front, I worked on two pieces this month - Lady in Harbor, and Primitive Egg. You can visit my Instagram account (@jenquilter) to see pictures of my stitching throughout the month. I didn't finish either one, but hope to get them both done in April! 

Hope you had a good March - the sun is shining on my garden today and I am enjoying the view of everything growing and blooming. See you all again soon! 

Comments

Moneik said…
The pillows look great. I also quilted a quilt back in February that I figured I would have the binding done on by now, but it's slow going. I am stitching it down by hand. I started doing some hand work again and it's really rather relaxing.
Carol said…
You amaze me, Jennifer!! All of those trips and family events and you still manage to squeeze in some quilting and stitching! Glad you got to visit the quilt shop on your way to Cincinnati--looks like you got some cute things and pretty new fabrics...

Hope April slows down for you--at least a bit--so you have even more time to create!
Kate said…
Congrats on the great stash report. You've got some fun projects in the works. Hopefully you'll have more stitching time in April.