May Meals - 2015

I seem to have fallen off the wagon a bit when it comes to photographing our meals, but we continue to try new recipes and the monthly posts are a good way for me to remember what we've had and liked when I am digging through to look for recipes to re-use. So, apologies in advance that I don't have photos for all of these! 

First up is Ham and Cheese Baked Frittata.  I think we may have actually made this in late April, but it got mixed in with the May recipes.  Mike made this one night for dinner with some leftover ham. It was good, but it made a very full 9x13 pan of food.  This would really be better suited for a brunch or or breakfast when friends are visiting.  We all liked it - I think three of us more than Jenna, but she is my pickiest eater in the family. We decided we'd make this again for a weeknight meal, but just make a half recipes. Ours looked pretty much like the picture on the recipe page. 

Next was a Cooking Light recipe, Sweet Sesame Noodles. It took me forever to find the soba noodles in the grocery store, so I might stock up on them at Trader Joe's next time I am there (assuming they are easy to find there!).  This was a really tasty and quick meal (it was featured in the 20 minute meals section of the magazine) and we'd definitely make it again. This  meal did not look like the picture....our noodles clumped together a little more and looked more like mud in the bowl..but they tasted good!

About the middle of the month, I pulled out a few recipe books that I didn't use in year one - the first is a new cookbook that I asked for after we started the challenge - The Pioneer Woman Cooks. This is the first recipe that we've made from the book. It is the Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich.  It was good and Mike really liked it. I didn't think it was quite as good as some of the other sandwich meals we've had, notably the French Dips and the Italian Pork Sandwiches. I will keep an eye out for cube steak sales though, and we'll make it again. 

The second was Naturally Healthy Cooking, a small book that is from Minute Main Lemon Juice (if I remember correctly, I saved a few proof-of-purchase seals and sent in for this).  I love lemon! We made the Baked Cod. I couldn't find the exact recipe, but found a good list of baked cod with lemon and dill recipes. This was a really tasty recipe, with just the right amount of lemon. 

Still in the lemon theme, the last recipe of the month was an oldie from the March 1999 Cooking Light - Sliced Lemon Pistachio Chicken over Greens. In addition to using lemon zest in the chicken breading, you make a lemon vinaigrette dressing. I loved every bit of this salad and I would argue that it is as good as any similar salad you can get in a restaurant.  Since this only used a small portion of the pistachios I bought, we will be making it again soon! 

Hope you see something you'd like to try!  If you do, let me know how you like it. 

Comments