Cooking up some good stuff in March

We had a pretty good track record last March and another good one this March. Over the course of the month, we made two new sandwiches, two casseroles, a soup, and cookies. 

Let's start with the casseroles. I had a turkey breast that I'd gotten on sale which I decided to cook on a Sunday afternoon and that left us with some leftovers specifically for turkey recipes. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time finding good turkey in any form other than ground. The first dish was Cheesy Turkey and Rice Dinner from Kraft and it was great. I found this recipe, which is not the exact one we made, but very close. 

Cheesy Turkey and Rice
A few nights after that, we used the rest of the leftovers for Turkey Noodle Bake, which was also quite good. I don't recall that the kids liked this one as much, but we'd make them try it again! 
Turkey Noodle Bake
Next up are the sandwiches. The first one is quite possibly the best recipe that we've made to date. It is for French Dip Paninis and was on the back of the Ham and Peas Casserole we had last month.  The paninis were divine! A big part of that is having the right bread - a little crusty but still chewy - and I found a good choice in the bakery section of our SuperTarget. I also had never tried pepper jack cheese before and didn't think I would be a fan, but it was perfect in these. 
French Dip Panini with Au Jus
It is hard to follow that panini...I can still taste it's yummy goodness, but we followed that a few nights later with another sandwich - a Tuna Melt from Cooking Light. This one called for zucchini on top, which I was a little suspect of. I like avocado on my melty sandwiches, but I wasn't so sure about this other veggie. Turned out, it was great! This will be a recipe we pull out again in the summer when we don't want to really cook, because it only calls for sauteing the zucchini and then popping the whole concoction into the toaster oven.  The kids liked this one too, with a slight modification - cheddar instead of swiss, and no zucchini! This recipe is from 1996, and this is the first time I've made it!!!
Tuna Melt w/Zucchini
Despite the fact that spring arrived late in March, it was a really cold week last week, so I dug into the soup recipes and pulled out Sopa Ranchera, also from Cooking Light. It was a great, hearty soup for a cool night (and with more zucchini!). Jenna thought it was too spicy, and Jack only cared for the broth and chicken, but it would be a good soup to put into our rotation next winter, and it aged with a few days in the fridge and tasted even better then. 
Sopa Ranchera
The last recipe for the month was Chocolate Chip Tea Cakes. The kids helped me pull and pour ingredients for them, and then they were ready to go when the timer rang on the oven! They required 5 minutes of cooking before adding the chocolate drizzle, and it was still cold outside, so I put them out on our picnic table and made the kids keep an eye on them to make sure the squirrels didn't come help themselves! 
Chocolate Chip Tea Cakes
Overall, it was a very successful month - we'll keep (and hopefully repeat) all of the recipes we tried! 

Comments