Sunflowers from Sisters

I am so happy to share a project that has been in my stash for almost 4 years and is now done! I purchased a kit at the quilt shop in Sisters, Oregon when my mom and I went to see the show there in 2008
I am so glad I waited to make this project! It involved templates, applique (which I did by machine), satin stitching, beading, two rounds of quilting, and final assembly. I think if I had actually started it in 2008, it would be in my UFO pile right now! I also think that having it as a challenge project made me power through and get it finished sooner rather than later. 

I learned a lot while doing this project - mostly about my Janome and free motion quilting. I had a few tension issues with the sunflowers, but got them resolved when I changed the bobbin thread. I was having issues with pokies on the top and the only way to resolve them was to loosen the tension to the point where it looked bad on the back. I am not sure what made me do it, but about 1/2 way through, I changed the bobbin thread to bottom line (by Superior Threads). It was wonderful!!! I was able to get the best tension I've ever had on my 6600! Once I got that issue solved, I was actually looking forward to getting it all quilted. 


I also learned a little about following instructions on this one. There were a few places in the pattern where I was seriously questioning the instructions, but I just went with them...and guess what? It all worked out the way it was supposed to! 
I assembled the final pieces last night. And I love it. 

Comments

Mary said…
I love it! Using the red is what sets it off for me. Fantastic job!
This looks fantastic! Way to go on the quilting and the finish!