October 2022 Stitching and Stash Reports

Boy, do I have a lot to share with you today - October was not only a good month for my sewing, thanks to my retreat, but it was also a great stitching month! Let's jump right in. 

I finished four projects this month and I am happy to share them. Two of the four have been underway for a while and it is nice to get them finished up. Let's start with the oldest one - Graveyard Goblins. I started this piece back in February and stitching on it a little here and there but without much dedicated stitching at any time. The threads in this one are a mix of DMC, Threadworx, and Kreinik. I am glad that I thought to stitch the tree in vertical rows instead of the normal horizontal rows that I do.

Graveyard Goblins by The Nutmeg Needle

I think it makes it look much more tree-ish. The lower section of this one has rows of specialty stitches, most of which I hadn't stitched before. It was fun to learn them and try to perfect them! I really love those spider webs. 

Specialty Stitches up close

The top is finished off with a bat button. The pattern called for a few other buttons, but I didn't care for them and think the bat is just the nice complement. This piece is stitched on a mystery fabric that I picked up at a stitcher's sale - it is a 28 count Taupe and it was lovely to stitch on. I think this piece will look best framed, so I will keep my eye out for a pre-made frame or a sale on framing to get the right one for this. 

The bat flying across the moon! 

My second oldest finish is Love Lives Here, a chart by Country Cottage Needleworks. I stitched this one with the called for Classic Colorworks threads on a 32 count Cream linen as a shop sample for my LNS. I will be headed to the stores soon to look for the perfect finishing piece for this - I am thinking it will be mounted on some fabric and then on a board, but we'll see what I find. I will need to get going on this one so that it can be displayed at the shop. 

Love Lives Here by Country Cottage Needleworks

Next up is Circle of Flowers, which was my birthday start back in August. I loved this simple floral pattern and really enjoyed stitching it - each flower was like a little finish. I stitching this one on 28 count Monaco with the called for DMC threads and plan to finish it in a fabric-wrapped hoop.

Circle of Flowers by AuryTM

Last up for finishes is the the biggest but also the newest - I joined Jamie and Terri at Cornhusker State Stitchers for SAL (stitch-a-long) on this one in August and September. With my travel in September, I didn't keep up with their schedule, but I was glad to get back to this once I was home. I really like the look of this one on 28 count Havana by Colour and Cotton, my first time stitching on their linen (it won't be the last, I loved it!). I won this fabric in a giveaway and was glad to find a pattern to use it with. This one is also stitched with called-for DMC threads. I have plans to finish this one as a wall hanging, no rush to get to right away as Halloween has passed, but I hope to get it out and finished before next Halloween! 

This Is Halloween by Primrose Cottage Stitches

In addition to four stitching finishes, I fully finished two projects. The first one is for the Spooky Smalls Swap that I participated in with a small group of flosstubers. We all received the name of a person to stitch for and a few things they like for fall/Halloween. I decided to stitch the new Heart in Hand Pocket Crow for Kea Bee, the recipient of my piece. I stitched it on an 18 count over 2 with DMC Perle Cotton and it was really fun to use a different linen and a different thread. The legs and tail were stitched with a piece of wool thread I had in my stash from some project long ago (no memory of why I have it, but it worked great here). I finished it as a round ornament and used a wooden disc to wrap it around, then finished it with felt on the back and a label, cording to match the stitching, and a bright orange ribbon. It arrived safely to Kea in early October and I hope she enjoyed it all month! 

Pocket Crow made for Kea

In the same swap, I received the neatest pillow from Evelyn. She stitched this from one of the Just Cross Stitch Halloween issues on a lovely green linen (it really didn't photograph well). I just love the group of black cats and the pillow is a great fit in my fall/Halloween basket. 

Broomstick Brigade made by Evelyn for me

My last FFO for the month was made as a result of the fabric challenge that my group hosts at our fall quilt retreat. I showed a picture of all the projects in my last post, but here's a closeup of mine. I used the challenge fabric behind the stitching. This piece is Happy Halloween by Silver Creek Samplers. My pattern came from a magazine years ago, but I think this is available as a pattern now. It is stitched with called for colors (I think mostly Weeks Dye Works if I remember correctly) and I have no idea what linen it is stitched on, because it was stitched in 2018, before I thought to record that type of information! I looked back and found the post where I finished it and said I would look for a nice black frame for it - I don't think I knew many different options at the time, but love what I've wound up with - it is mounted on mat board, layered on a second piece of mat board, and then mounted on foam core (to make it stand out a bit) in a metal cauldron. I picked up this piece at the Target Dollar Spot last year and it was perfect for this piece. I finished it off with just a big of trim between the two pieces of matboard - some Bean Sprout chenille. I am really pleased with the finish and enjoyed having it out over the month. 

Happy Halloween by Silver Creek Samplers

I am really happy with all I finished in October - thanks in part to lots of stitching time, but also glad to finish up some projects that had been in progress for quite a while. At the end of the month, I had just 4 works in progress remaining in my stitching. I have found that my happy place is somewhere between 3 and 7, and I am glad to be down to the lower end of that for the first time in a while. I am sure they will tick back up again and that's okay, but it feels good to move some older projects out of the WIP bag. 

Last up for the month is my stash and stitching time reporting. I had a great month for both in October, fueled by less travel and my retreat. 

Stitching Time - linking up with Kate at Life in Pieces - 28/31 days with at least 15 minutes of crafting for 90% success. 26 of those days included stitching, 11 included quilting, and 2 included crochet, as I started a new project in October (I will share that as I make some progress). 

Stash Report - linking up with Donna at quiltpaintcreate

Fabric added this month: 1 1/2 yards
Fabric used this month: 6 5/8 yards
Fabric added year to date: 11 7/8 yards
Fabric used year to date: 32 3/4 yards
Net fabric used: 20 7/8 yards

It's always hard to resist new fabric in a town with two quilt shops in walking distance, but I think I did pretty well - glad to use several yards on the tops I put together at retreat - and the backs will use some too when I get to them! 

Overall, the month was quite nice. Fall is my favorite season and I always enjoy the cooler days, changing leaves, and crisp air at night. See you all again soon! 


 

Comments

Kate said…
Very pretty cross stitch projects. You did have a good month on the stitching front!
Well done on your finishes, Jennifer! Looking forward to seeing them in finished form! You had a really productive October. I hope November brings you time to create.
Carol said…
So many beautiful finishes for October, Jennifer! You weren't kidding :) I think my favorite is the Silver Creek Samplers that you added to the black cauldron. I've always adored that design and pull it out to stitch every fall, but, for some reason, it never gets stitched! Next year? The little round ornament that you created for your exchange looks great, too and I'm sure you'll have the Primrose Cottage piece finished for next Halloween. The specialty stitches on the Graveyard Goblins piece look wonderful--it's always fun to try new stitches :)

Enjoy your November ♥
Donna said…
Great month for you! You had some very cute stitch finishes.
Ernie said…
You mentioned wool source. I'm working on a small project and so need small amounts of wool felt.
Ernie said…
You mentioned a source for wool felt? I want to start a small project that requires small pieces of felt