August 2022 quilting roundup

Most of my excitement in August had to do with my State Fair results, which you can read about in my last post. This post will focus on my quilting activities in August and include my month end reports. 

I didn't do a whole lot in my quilt room during August, but I did FFO four cross-stitch pieces, three of which were pillows. You've already seen the first two. I finished up the third one last weekend. It is a mystery piece that came to me by way of a box of fabric, thread, and books that was given to my mom by a friend. We believe these all came from a former stitcher. There were two finished pieces in the box that I took to rescue and this is one of them. I made this cute little piece into a fall pillow. 

Saving some stitching - unknown pattern and stitcher - finished into a small pillow

In addition to the finishing, I kept things moving for my Which Way's North quilt which is ready for quilting. I made a back and got it loaded onto my longarm. I didn't have enough batting to quilt it so I picked that up a few weeks ago, but it has yet to make it on the frame so I can start some quilting. I hope to get started on that one in September so that I can take it to my retreat in October to share at show and tell. 

I also got out Color Love, a top I put together at my last retreat. I wasn't happy with the top section as I thought the fabric from the layer cake got lost because it was too similar to the backgrounds. I swapped it out last weekend, going into the quilt a few layers to move up some of the yellows and put the more saturated piece at the top. It still looks a bit lost in the picture, but it looks a lot better in person. This is one of three Quick Curve Ruler quilts that I need to get quilted and I picked up the quilting ruler last time it was on sale, so I think I will get one of those on the frame next. 

Original Color Love top

Updated Color Love top
Pattern by Sew Kind of Wonderful
Fabric - Indigo Garden by Heather Peterson 

Last up from August was some fun shopping. I had a good time using my birthday discount at Back Door Quilts and picked up fabrics for three projects - one zipper case, one mini-quilt, and the Halloween fabrics for a Quilt-a-Long that my mom and I are going to host in October. I plan to go downstairs when this post is done and pick out some more fabrics to go with this one. 
Birthday purchases
Between the fair, the quilting and stitching, it was another good month in the craft department. Here are my stats for those who enjoy following along. 

Stash Report - linking up with Donna at quiltpaintcreate

Fabric added this month: 5 3/8 yards
Fabric used this month: 2 1/2 yards
Fabric added year to date: 9 5/8 yards
Fabric used year to date: 24 3/8 yards
Net fabric used: 14 3/4 yards

Stitching time - usually linking up with Kate at Life-in-Pieces, but she hasn't been able to blog lately: 

27/31 days with at least 15 minutes of stitching time = 87%

Wishing you a great September - I have three trips - 1 wedding, 1 conference, and 1 meeting - looking forward to it all, but it will make for a quick month. I will be hoping for some good stitching time on airplanes and easy travel with flights on time! 

Comments

Sweet pumpkin pillow! I like the change you made in your quilt top. Have a fabulous September, Jennifer.
Carol said…
It looks like a very busy September for you, Jennifer! I, too, hope your plane trips go smoothly. My oldest son and his family just flew to LA for a wedding and they had no problems at all so, perhaps, air travel is returning to normal.

Love that pumpkin pillow--what a nice addition to your fall decorating. And the quilt top is lovely with your changes. I'm always amazed at how well you keep track of your fabric used--I guess that is more of a quilting thing :)

Enjoy your weekend ♥