Stash, Stitching Time, and a Really Old Quilt

In my last post, I shared my newest fully finished cross-stitch items and I have an exciting quilt finish for this post. I shared a bit of the background of this quilt and a picture of the quilt back in my end of January post. I realized a few weeks into February that I needed to finish this so that I could quilt a baby quilt for a baby shower, so I got moving and finished this one up, then added the binding a little later in the month. This quilt is affectionately called "The Fat Quarter Quilt" as you select 8 fat quarters to create the cascading pattern across the middle. I just found the price tag from when I bought the fat quarter bundle as the group of 8 was only $12.50!! Today, most fat quarters are $3-$3.50 each. 

Fat Quarter Quilt - started 2006, finished 2022


Quilting detail - Fat Quarter Quilt

After I finished quilting this one, I got a move on with the baby quilt and loaded, quilted and bound it all in one day so it would be ready for the baby shower! It is a panel called a Monthly Marker and mom lays baby on the quilt, takes a picture, and then circles the age by selecting the right month/day/year. These are quite the popular way on Instagram to watch a baby grow. I gifted it to the mom-to-be the following weekend and hope that she'll enjoy using it. 

Monthly Marker baby gift

I also have two stitching finishes for February - I have been working on both of these for a while and am glad to have finished them both up. 

First is Chilly Penguins, a hand embroidery piece. This came printed on a piece of natural muslin and I used two strands of DMC thread in to do the stitching. This was a great travel project, as it is a little easier on the eyes than cross stitch. I plan to finish this one into a wall hanging. 

Chilly Penguins

Second is the Snow Place Series by Country Cottage Needleworks. This is 5 separate patterns that I decided to stitch in a row. It is stitched on a mystery fabric which is most likely 28 count with most of the called for colors. The blue and the green house on the right are done with Threadworx and I just love the vibrancy and variegation in these threads. You can bet I will be looking for other projects which could use this thread. For this one, I am not sure yet if I will frame this or make it into a pillow. 

Snow Place by Country Cottage Needleworks

It was a good month - between these and the three FFOs that I shared in my last post, it has been a good start to the year. Life is a little busier in March and I am sure it will be through the warmer months, but I am glad to have a few stitching WIPs complete and a few quilt UFOs finished. 

Here are the stats for those who enjoy following along with stash usage and stitching time: 

Stash Report - linking up with Donna at Quilt Paint Create

Fabric added this month: 2 1/2 yards (I picked up a layer cake for a future project)
Fabric used this month: 2 1/2 yards (the baby gift)
Fabric added year to date: 3 1/2 yards
Fabric used year to date: 7 5/8 yards (thanks to quilt backs!)
Net fabric used: 4 1/8 yards

Stitching time - linking up with Kate at Life in Pieces

Days with at least 15 minutes of stitching = 27/28 = 96%

Hope you had a great February too! 

Comments

Beth said…
Such cute work! I love that fat quarter quilt and the growth marker quilt!
Ivani said…
Beautiful Fat Quartes quilt, congrats for finished it.
That baby grow quilt idea is so cool, and I love
your embroidery and cross stitch finishes. Well done.
Both quilts are darling, Jennifer! Well done on your embroidery finish (it will make a great wall hanging) and the CCN finish. Happy Monday!
Laura said…
I really like your FQ quilt! You have been very productive again this month.
Carol said…
You had a great month, Jennifer! Love the pattern that the various fat quarters created in your larger quilt. And the baby quilt is precious and I know it will be well loved (and used!). Very pretty embroidery. I used to embroider in high school, but haven't touched it since then.

I'm sure you love how your Snow Place turned out all in a row--just darling! I have to say that couple in the last block doesn't look like they're dressed appropriately for cold, snowy weather, though--ha ha!

Take care now and I hope you enjoy your week ♥
Kate said…
The Fat Quarter quilt turned out beautifully! I like your cascading blues in that project. Congrats on finishing off an oldie but goodie from your UFO list. Your Snow Place stitching is really beautiful. Congrats on all the progress with needle and thread in February.
Betty said…
That turned out great. It has been almost that long since I've made another one.