A strong start for Jan 2020

One of the things I am going to try to do a little better job of this year is posting in smaller snippets. While I enjoy only lugging out the computer, loading photos, etc. once a month, I feel like it is taking a really long time to get everything written and posted, so in months where I am around and have a few things to share by mid-month, I will try to give you a middle of the month update. For those of you who blog more often, do you blog from a laptop or do you have a good app that you use so that you can blog from an iPad?

January started great for me as I decided to take off the 2nd and 3rd, so I didn't have to return to work until the 6th. I made good use of that time and got some good time in my sewing room. 

First up for the new year was to start strong with a cross-stitch FFO (fully finished object). If you've been reading for a while, you know I need to work on this. If you're new here, just know I have lots of cross-stitch that is stitched but awaiting a finish so it can be displayed/enjoyed!  After a couple fits and starts with ornaments that never got finished over the holidays, I decided to make a pillow. I pulled out a Valentine's piece from Heart to Hand that I stitched only a couple years ago and got it put into a pillow. I followed Cathy Haberman's technique to sew it all round, snip in the back to stuff it, and then cover the snip by fusing on a piece of fabric. I am really pleased with how this wound up and it is already out for display a little ahead of February! 


Next up was a little quilting - I had been puttering along on a pillow started last summer - pieces were cut and I was sewing them a little bit at a time. I made a concerted effort to get the piecing done, used some time while on a phone call to trim them up, and finally got them into a finished pillow. 
Flat without the pillow
Ready to use!
I quilted this one on my Janome and had to reacquaint myself with the machine a little. I did a continuous curves variation on each triangle and realized I could use a little more free motion quilting practice. I used a light yellow thread that worked well with all the different colors. I liked the light to dark arrangement and I think it will add a fun pop of color during these gray January days. 

I also loaded and started quilting one of my UFOs - a quilt top that I finished several years ago. I got some good quilting time this afternoon and it is almost halfway done, so I hope to have that finished to share at the end of the month. I have also been doing some stitching and crocheting in the evenings (especially during the week), which is a nice way to relax at the end of a long work day. 

Hope your start to the year has gone well - what have you been up to this early January? Any snow in your neck of the woods? None here and I am missing it a little, but also enjoying a January that feels more like March! 

Happy crafting and see you again at the end of the month! 

Comments

Your Valentine pillow turned out great, Jennifer. Way to go on getting it ready for display early! Your quilted pillow is very cool. Well done!

We had one snowstorm on the 7th and by the 10th, it was all gone. I hope we get another storm or two. I am not enjoying this mild winter at all. Having fun with my stitching and have had 4 starts and 3 finishes so far!

Enjoy your week!
Moneik said…
Great job with the finishes. Love the pillows. I find it hard to do only monthly updates, so I end up doing nothing. I need to get back in the habit of blogging.
Carol said…
I think a mid-month update sounds good, Jennifer! I try to do two posts a month (working on one today, actually!) and that seems to be a good number for me. I don't know how people find the time to blog multiple times a week :)

Love your little ♥ pillow. I haven't tried that way of finishing yet (with the little patch covering the back slit), but I will this year.

No snow here either and I can't believe I'm saying that I actually miss it. It doesn't seem like winter--in fact we haven't shoveled at all since last March! Have a great week :)
Kate said…
Both pillows turned out beautifully! The flying geese one is so colorful. I know it's just mid month, but December vacation seems so long ago now. Hope you can keep up the momentum on the stitching front and that work doesn't ramp up too high for a bit. Happy stitching.
Cheryl said…
Very pretty pillow, I really like all of the different prints in it.
Kaisievic said…
Great work, Jennifer - I love both projects.