2020 Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Look at this - another post before the end of the month! This year, I am going to participate in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge hosted by Angela over at So Scrappy. I made blocks two years ago that turned into this quilt top last year (third picture in the post). I need to get it quilted and that is definitely on my list, but I had so much fun making the blocks and I love the end result that I decided to start another one. 

I was inspired by Kate a few years ago to pick a pattern that I want to make and use that for the RSC. I was also inspired by Laura when she made this quilt. I had the book and have wanted to make it, so that will be my pattern for this year - this is the cover quilt and the one I am going to make. 
Irish Chain Quilts by Melissa Corry
My son happened to mention that he'd like a new quilt sometime soon and I thought this one would fit the bill - he took a look at the pattern and gave it a thumbs up. I may have to alter the size so it fits an extra long bed, as he is growing like crazy these days (currently 12 years old and about 5'9")! 

I started off this month and loved working with the bright greens. I've never done much crazy piecing, so I had a little learning to do about how to construct the blocks, but I think they came together pretty well. 

These greens will get chopped up and added to navy blue fabric (my son requested a dark instead of light background). I don't know yet if I will use scrappy navies or one consistent. Either way, I plan to make the monthly color blocks through May and then will take them to my Spring retreat to cut up and sew to the navy.  If I have enough blocks by then, it will turn into a top; if not, I will keep making blocks and take them to my fall retreat to finish up and turn into a top. If all goes well, he will have a new quilt by the end of the year! 

I am looking forward to seeing all the other RSC blocks and quilts come together over the course of the year. Let me know what you're planning to make with yours! 

Comments

That's a great way to use up little bits of fabric, and the rainbow of chains will look wonderful with a dark background! I've been making crumb blocks, too - there are a lot of fun ways to use them!
Kate said…
You've picked a great block to use up those odds and ends of left overs. A navy background will really make those colors pop. Enjoy the new project!
Great plan!! I've considered using the Challenge in this way. Haven't managed it yet. I've got that book, too. There are a number of quilts that I want to make out of it. Maybe NEXT year, I'll take the plunge! Until then, enjoy the process. It's going to look amazing with a navy background!
I love the pattern you picked for the RSC blocks. You are off to a good start with your green blocks, Jennifer. I think the navy will look super!
Laura said…
This quilt should look great with a dark background! I look forward to seeing your progress. I started another one, but it is slow going since I'm focusing on BH's mystery right now.
Mari said…
Great plan for the RSC. A little bit at a time does add up to some lovely quilts. Have fun!
Carol said…
I love the fact that your son wanted you to make him a new quilt, Jennifer :) The colors on the dark navy will be perfect. Sounds like he'll be a six-footer before he's done growing! Enjoy this last bit of January ♥
Marsha Cooper said…
That is going to make a great looking quilt in the end. I love scrappy.