January 2019 in the books

Well, it was a bit of a crazy month weather-wise, but a good month in the craft department. I shared most of what I've been working on in my last post, so click back a sec to see what's been going on in the basement if you missed that post. 

I got back down to the sewing room one night last week and worked on cutting some scraps to prep them as leaders/enders. The koala remains as it was in the last post. 

One other project got to the finished top stage early in January - my Square Dance top. I had initally planned to put it right on the frame to be quilted, but it hasn't made it there yet (and now I have another quilt loaded).  I am glad it made my UFO list this year, I will plan to get it quilted and bound when its number is called, if not before. 
Square Dance finished top
In addition to some good sewing/quilting in January, I also had some good stitching time. I continued to work on my Lizzie Kate Snowbelles project, finishing another section and moving on to the last section! I am excited to finish this up (hopefully by the end of next weekend, if not before). 
"All Dressed Up" section finished in January
I used a little stash for the koala quilt and to add borders to my Square Dance quilt, so the start of the stash report is looking good too. 

This year, rather than counting how many days I am quilting, I decided to track the number of days I do any crafting - quilt, stitch, or crochet. I'd like to be > 50% crafty over the course of the year. 

In January, I had 10 days of quilting for 11 3/4 hours, and 19 total days of crafting, 61% of the days in January. I think that's a good start, especially considering I had a pretty significant Girl Scout commitment the first week of January. 

I will close with two things...one, a couple pictures of the kids - they competed in their first Solo & Ensemble competition yesterday and both came home with medals. Jack played his cello in a quartet and they earned a Silver, and Jenna played her violin in a sextet and they earned a Gold. It was a fun day and we are proud of both of them. 

And the last thing...I had a giveaway in my 2018 year in review post - I had 6 comments and I drew numbers 5 and 6. Kate and Julie Fry - you are the winners! Please send me an email (jenquilter20 at gmail.com) with your mailing address and I will get your wallets to you. Congrats and thanks again to all who read and comment! 

Comments

chrisknits said…
Congrats to the kids, I am sure you are a proud mom! And congrats to you on the progress made in your sewing. The Square Dance is lovely, the colors are so pretty.
Jennifer, I love your Square Dance quilt top. What a fun pattern! Your Snow Belles is looking good. Congratulations to both of your kids on their accomplishments! Have a super Monday!
Carol said…
Your Square Dance quilt top is darling, Jennifer--it really does look like the squares are dancing :) And the LK piece is growing nicely--I'm sure that has been a fun one to stitch...

Great job on your kids' musical achievements! I think music is such a wonderful part of growing up. Our three were all in band, jazz band, marching band and the oldest was drum major his senior year. Loved every minute (well, except those sub-freezing Friday night half-time shows at the football games :)
Kate said…
Congrats to the kids on their medals! And congrats to you for meeting your crafty goal for January. Square Dance turned out beautifully! Good luck with your stitching plans for February. Hopefully it will warm up soon, I'm tired of ice and cold.
Kate said…
Thank you for the give away win! (Sorry I didn't get that into the first comment, My Guy and I were working out strategy for the delayed start at work as I was typing my comment and I completely spaced the giveaway).
Laura said…
I remember participating in Solo and Ensemble. It was a big deal at my high school. Congratulations to your kids!
Hooray for the kids!! I forgot to mention in my last comment that the cross stitch place here is apparently going to stop framing. I've never had them frame anything for me, but had aspirations to finish something for them to frame at some point.