June 2026 - Focusing on some finishes

Well, here we are more than halfway into July and I am just getting to my June recap! Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it? Off the heels of Stitch Maynia, I was looking forward to working on some of the fun projects I'd started and getting a few of the smaller ones to a finish. I also had a goal to make some good progress on FFOs and was able to achieve that in July!I also had a big quilting finish which has been in progress for a long time, so it was a well rounded month. 

Let's start with the quilting finish - I started Reindeer Xing at my quilt retreat in 2023 when I did the cutting for the quilt on Sunday morning. I worked on blocks over the next few months, ran into a few challenges, and worked on it here and there to fix the issues and make the tree blocks. In December 2024, I set the goal to finish the quilt top and got that done on Dec 30! I made the back for the quilt in Dec 2025, and loaded it onto my frame to quilt in February. It hung out until April, when I finally started quilting it! It was finished in two weekends, then I started the binding in May...and ran out! I was luckily able to find a yard of the fabric that I used for the background and binding and finally finished it up this month. I am so happy with the finished quilt and can't wait to use it over the holidays. I quilted it with Glide thread in a silvery-grey color with figure 8s in rows across the quilt. You can see a little closeup of the quilting here

Reindeer Xing by Lella Boutique
Started Oct 2023, finished June 2026

Phew, now that the big project is done, I feel free to move on to a few other sewing/quilting projects. I worked a bit on a purse in June and learned a new technique for adding a zipper. Pics to come in the July roundup. 

Since we are looking at finishes, let's cover the FFOs from June - I set a goal for this year to finish one per weekend that I'm home and I have fallen a bit behind so used some of my weekends and some time off at the end of the month to do a little catching up. Here are the five projects I FFO'ed in June: 

Easter Bunny - free pattern from World of Cross-stitching
I made this into a flat fold with pink fabric on the back. Stitched earlier this year on
32 ct. Primrose fabric from Atomic Ranch with called for DMC threads

Scandi Friends Winter Animals by Tiny Modernist
I finished this as a flat fold with teal fabric on the back. Stitched on
32 ct. Lambswool evenweave with called for DMC threads

Le Tricolore - this was one of my Stitch Maynia starts and also a finish this month. It is mounted to a wooden round piece and bordered with some dark navy trim that I picked up in a quilt shop years ago. The pattern is from The Elegant Thread and was part of a Sajou kit that I bought at marked in 2024. I stitched it on 36 ct. Modena, which is an evenweave, with Splendor silk threads. 

A Sweet Springtime Songbird by JBW Designs. This was also a Stitch Maynia start and finish and I finished it with the kit wooden piece (painted white) and thread from the kit to make the cording. I still need to attach the little bird charm that will hang from the bow. 

Thanksgiving Biscornu by Barbara Ana Designs. Stitched on 32 ct.
Vintage Country Mocha with mostly called for threads
 (I substituted a different orange for the pumpkins). 

It was a really great month for finishing - as you may be able to tell, I kind of grouped the FFOs together by type as I find it nice to work on multiples when I can. 

I have two more stitching finishes to wrap up the month - these were both Stitch Maynia starts, so I am happy to say that four of my five new starts from Stitch Maynia are finished, with two FFO'ed! I don't think I've ever accomplished that so quickly. 
Rudolph from Santa and Rudolph by Dirty Annie's, stitched on 25 ct. Waterfall Lugana from Forbidden Fiber Co (it's hard to see the blue mottling on this picture, but it shows up nicely in person) with called for DMC threads. There's a companion piece for this with Santa peeking the other way - when you finish them, they are meant to be peeking at each other. 

Forest Friends Pincushion by Under the Garden Moon. This was my first complex wool embroidery kit and I was really grateful to have good direction in my Left Handed Stitcher's Embroidery Companion book and all the wool pieces in the kit. I enjoyed learning new things as I stitched this one together.
This will finish into a pincushion. 

All in all, it was a great month and I was glad for a few days off at the end of the month to do some craft room puttering and to spend some time with my son. 

Here are the stats for the month: 

Stitching time with Kate at Life in Pieces - 27/30 days with at least 15 minutes of crafting

Stash report with Donna at Life in Pieces
Fabric added this month: 0 yards
Fabric used this month: 1/8 yard (for my purse strap)
Fabric added year to date: 1 yard
Fabric used year to date: 1 7/8 yards
Net fabric used: 7/8 yard

Project finishes: 
+3 stitching finishes, -5 FFOs = 40 projects waiting to be FFO'ed
0 quilting finishes, 0 quilting starts = 9 projects waiting to be fully finished

Happy stitching, quilting, or whichever other crafts you enjoy - see you again soon for the July recap! 

Comments