February 2024 - Fun Finishes

Already two months down in this new year, it seems to be going quickly! I had a good month with a work trip to San Diego, a visit from my cousin and her family and lots of crafty time. 

San Diego skyline at night 

San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

I finished my first quilt for the year, this one was a UFO from 2021 that I made at a Shipshewana retreat. I got the pattern and fabric from Pumpkinvine Quilting, which used to be in Middlebury, IN - sadly closed now. I purchased the Sew Kind of Wonderful quilting ruler last year and this is the second quilt I've done with it. I quilted a combination of ruler work and freehand quilting and had a heck of a time with thread breaks. I think that it is time for my machine to have a spa day after quilting 170 quilts! I had the machine serviced once since I got it in 2011, so it's probably time. I am so glad to have this one bound and finished and ready to gift. First quilt project and first completed quilt UFO for the year! 

Urban Chained quilt, pattern by Sew Kind of Wonderful
Here's some closeup of the quilting from the morning I tied off all my thread ends - I use blue painter's tape to make it easy to find the threads. 

Stitching had me with some finishes and some FFOs. Two of the three projects I finished were also started in February - I do enjoy a quick start and finish! 

Summertime Berry is from the Summertime Berries collection by Erica Michaels and I am stitching two of them as shop models for Persnickety Stitchers. The first one was a quick 2-day stitch. 

Summertime Berry by Erica Michael's stitched on 36 ct. White Linen with Classic Colorworks Blueberry Tart thread

Next up was my ornament for February, Truly Endless Knot II, from the 2015 Just CrossStitch Christmas Ornaments issue. I changed the fabric and all the colors to make it a better fit for the person who will receive it. I enjoyed stitching this one on my flight to and from my work trip and had a nice chat with a young stitcher on the way back. 

Truly Endless Knot II by Ink Circles

My last finish is my favorite for the month. I started Autumn Alphabet last year and really loved stitching it. I tried my hand at stitching in hand for the pumpkin, stitching up and down instead of back and forth. It turned out okay but I don't think I loved the process. This fabric was one of my favorites to stitch with and it is really hard to capture in a photo the richness of the dark amber color. 

Autumn Alphabet by The Scarlett House, stitched on 32 count Autumn Gold by Lakeside Linens with mostly called for threads (I made one sub to look better with my selected fabric)

I also fully finished three pieces, two of which I'd started to finish before February. Cookie Exchange was a mystery SAL with Hands on Design in 2021 and I really enjoyed stitching this one. The model was finished on a paddle, but I stitched mine with fabric from stash in a different count so had to decide on another finish. I really love the flat fold finish and made this one extra narrow so I can squeeze it in with all my Christmas decorations. 

Cookie Exchange by Hands of Design, stitched on
 28 count Aida dyed by me with called for DMC threads

Side view of my narrow flat fold with cheery fabric for the backing

My Canoeing Santa was a quick stitch near the end of last year and I was inspired by Carol to finish this one in a pillow finish with simple cording around the edges and for the hanger. I haven't mastered how to make the cording "pigtails" lay nicely, but even so, I am thrilled with this finish and know there will be more of this style in my future - thanks Carol for the inspiration from your great ornaments! 

Canoeing Santa - pattern from a mini card by Prairie Schooler

Landscape was my final finish and has been close to a finish for a long time. I painted the frame that it is finished in - it started as a dark brown with green stars and I had to do several coats of white to cover everything up. In the end, I am pretty happy with it, although the frame isn't perfectly square. That's okay, I think the design of this one still stands out great. 

Landscape by Works by ABC, stitched on 32 count Vintage Smokey White with called for threads

I did a little work on my crochet project, but really not enough to make for a good picture and I spent some time taking apart and reconstructing my reindeer blocks that I started last year. The smallest units of the blocks were off throwing off the entire block. It is frustrating to take them all apart, but will be worth it in the end. 

My stats for the month look okay: 

Stitching time with Kate at Life in Pieces: 23/29 days crafting = 82% 

Stash Reporting with Donna at quiltpaintcreate

No fabric used this month
No fabric added this month
Fabric used year to date: 3 1/8 yards
Fabric added year to date: 0 yards
Net fabric used: 3 1/8 yards

FFO Challenge Tracking: 
Stitching projects: +3 finishes, -3 FFOs =  36 projects waiting to be fully finished
Quilting projects: +0 new quilt tops/projects, -1 finished quilt = 9 quilts waiting to be finished

Thanks for reading about my month - hope you had a nice February - onward to spring now! 

Comments

Gretchen Weaver said…
Nice quilt, very unique. Your counted cross stitching project are all pretty! Yes, Pumpkinvine closed several years ago but there's a new store on the north side of Middlebury called Clothesline Creations. She specializes in Tula fabrics.
Bonnie said…
You have a lot of wonderful eye candy. Your quilt is really an interesting design. Great color choices too. But your cross stitch -- wow! You do such a great variety of projects. I like the one in the painted frame that is free standing. Again a really interesting design I lived in the San Diego area several times while growing up. Coronado at least twice and Chula Vista once. I haven't been back since college. On the other hand, I don't live in California now so it isn't a quick trip like it used to be. Hope you enjoyed your time there.
Kate said…
You were very busy in February! Congrats on the quilt finish, it turned out beautifully. It's always hard to pick a favorite from your stitcheries. I like all of them. Hope you've been as productive in March!
Beth said…
You have gotten so much done already this year! Nice work!

Do you have to take the longarm apart and take it to be serviced? Or do they make housecalls? Getting it out of the basement could be a lot of "fun"!
What a beautiful quilt you finished, Jennifer! Your month of February was really very productive. Glad you were able to squeeze in a visit with family on your work trip. Have a great March!
Carol said…
How nice that your month included a work trip to San Diego! I still miss visiting that area now that my son, DIL and grandson have moved to DC (but, I'm thrilled that they're back on the east coast!). Love your latest quilt--very pretty colors. I think that's great that you got to chat with a young stitcher on the plane as you worked on your Ink Circles piece (she must have been VERY young--because, to me, you are young! Ha ha!). My favorite is your Autumn Alphabet, too! And your HOD and PS pieces are so cute. (I actually iron the loose ends on my cording hangers and then trim them with very sharp scissors. Hint-hint :)

Hope your March is going well--can't believe it's almost half over. Enjoy your day, Jennifer! ♥