August 2023 - A Scouting celebration and a big change

 My mom and I filmed a flosstube yesterday and I was a little without words at the start of it - August was a big big month as we enjoyed the last days of our daughter living at home and helped her move to New York and move into her dorm for college. She and I were busy getting ready, with activities almost every day to make sure we were ready to leave at the end of the month. In the midst of all that, my son started his Junior year of high school and a busy tennis season and we had our semi-annual cross-stitch retreat that my mom and I host. I am not at all surprised that August went by so quickly! 

The month started with the celebration of the Girl Scout troop that I led for the last 8 years. We had a bridging and celebration on a Sunday afternoon at one of the local libraries that the girls planned and led. It was a wonderful way to cap off our experience. I may have shed a tear or two as I shared with them how much it meant to me to be their leader and how many good memories I have from my time as their leader. You've seen the inspirational stitches that I've been working on for them over the course of the last few years and I was so happy to gift them. Each one had a personal note tucked in the back and I was so touched that they all seemed to like them. It's the end of an era, and I am so grateful that it is an experience I had with all of them, especially with my daughter. 

Five inspirational stitches for five wonderful scouts!

Letters tucked in the back


Gift bags lined up and ready to go

Me with the graduating members of Troop 266

Once our celebration was complete, my focus turned to some sewing. I showed you the start of a duffel bag for my daughter at the end of last month and I worked hard to get it done by mid-August. It was fun to make a complicated bag again (well, mostly fun) and my daughter loves the finished project. 

The finished Delightful Duffel


Outside of the duffel, all my crafting in August was stitching - I continued to work on several projects and got two to the stage of finishing the stitching. One of them will be a gift, so I am not sharing it here yet. The other one is Crab Dance by Tiny Modernist, a piece I am stitching as a shop model for my local shop. I stitched this on 14 count Lilac aida with the called for DMC threads. I really like how it turned out and have an idea in mind for finishing that I hope will turn out as I envision. 
Crab Dance by Tiny Modernist

I finished this piece at our retreat - it was another great weekend of stitching just north of Indianapolis and most of the attendees were returning from a prior year, so it is always fun to see familiar faces. We had a great long weekend of stitching, shopping, eating and laughing. Here are a few pics from the weekend. 
Our retreat attendees

My area at the show and tell display

Shopping frenzy!

Retreat exchange pieces

After retreat, I worked for one day and then we packed the car and headed east to take my daughter to college in New York. We had an easy drive, enjoyed a day in NYC, and got her all settled in her dorm. Since then she's had her first week of classes and is doing well adjusting to her new experiences. I can't wait to hear all the stories when she is home over the holidays. 
Grand Central Station

We saw Six at the Lena Horne theater (and it was so good!)

Brooklyn Bridge

All settled in her dorm

Oh, I almost forgot - we also had the Indiana State Fair in August and I entered 4 quilts, 3 stitched pieces, and 1 crochet item - I won three ribbons! I received great feedback from the judges and plan to apply what I have learned as I prepare items for next year. 
Charting a Course won first place in its category!

Wind Drifter took an Honorable Mention

End of the Rainbow also received an Honorable Mention

A fun green screen family picture

Phew, what a month! I would say that I hope things slow down in September, but I don't think they really will - that's okay as long as I have a few hours to settle in and stitch or sew throughout the month. Hope you all had a good August! 

Stats for the month: 

Stash Reporting with Donna at quiltpaintcreate
Fabric added this month: 0 yards
Fabric used this month: 1 3/8 yards
Fabric added year to date: 6 1/2 yards
Fabric used year to date: 14 1/2 yards
Net fabric used: 8 yards

Stitching time with Kate at Life in Pieces: 
Days with at least 15 minutes of crafting: 27/31 - 87%

FFO Challenge tracking: 
Stitching projects: +2 finishes, -0 FFO = 40 projects waiting to be FFO'ed  (+2 from last month)
Quilts: 11 quilts waiting to be finished (no change from last month)

Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoyed this glimpse into my month!  

Comments

Kate said…
Wow! You did have a busy August! Glad your daughter is adjusting well to college. Its' so exciting to seem them take those next steps, but you still miss them. Ours is starting year 2 of grad school, we won't get to see her again till Thanksgiving. Congrats on all the progress on the stitching front this month. Hopefully September will allow a bit more breathing room and time for stitching.
What a busy month you had, Jennifer! Hope your daughter continues to adjust to life at college. Wishing your son a fantastic year as a junior and during tennis season.
Carol said…
As always, your month was filled with fun and so many fantastic makes, Jennifer! Congratulations on getting your daughter off to school--I hope she thrives and really enjoys her years in NY. Your fair wins are all so pretty and well-deserved and I loved seeing your little area of show and tell finishes at the retreat. Looks like a fun time was had by all :)

I'm sure the girls in your Scout Troop will forever be grateful to you for your leadership and mentorship all those years. Your gifts to them are so very meaningful, I'm sure--just beautiful!

Enjoy this last bit of September--my, how this year if flying by!