May 2022 - Stitchmaynia

I participated in my first StitchMaynia in 2018  - I went back to read the blog post tonight and I was a little uncertain whether I would do it again - guess what, I've done it every year since! I haven't ever done what I did the first year - 18 starts! - but I have used May as a month to focus on stitching. This  year I used the same approach as last year - 5 WIPs (works in progress) and 5 new starts. It was a great month as usual, and this year I stitched all 31 days! A few of those days, it was only for 10 or 15 minutes, but I still got in some stitching time. 

Here's the stack of projects to work on! 

Here's what I worked on: 

May 1-3 - Love Lives Here by Country Cottage Needlework - I am stitching this one as a shop sample for my local shop, Persnickety Stitchers with the called for threads and a very similar linen. This one is such a pretty pattern and I thought the house was a great place to start. 

First morning on Love Lives Here



At the end of three days on Love Lives Here

May 4-6 - Next up was my first WIP - Goody Grimwood by Plum Street Samplers. This is my first project on 40 count linen and I started it during Stitch Maynia last year. I was glad to make some good progress on this one. 
Goody Grimwood, starting point

Goody Grimwood after 3 days progress

May 7-9 - Let's Talk Stitching by Hands on Design. I knew the minute I saw this one that I'd have to stitch it. I am starting with the smaller piece that will wind up in a project bag and I am using Sulky threads on this one - my first time using Sulky and really enjoying stitching with one strand but getting the coverage of two!
Ready to start on Let's Talk Stitching

Progress after three days

May 10-12 - Graveyard Goblins by Nancy's Needle - this is an old one that's been in my stash for a while. I can't remember exactly when I started this one, but fell in love with the tree, stitched with Threadworx. It's been all DMC since I finished the tree and I am really looking forward to getting to the specialty stitches below the fence on this project. Didn't get there in May but will continue plugging along on this one!
Graveyard Goblins starting point

Lots of great progress on Graveyard Goblins

May 13-15 - Cute Deer Pendibule by Durene Jones in the 2019 Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornaments issue - I was so excited to start this one after seeing a couple finished pendibules on flosstube. I planned this one over a weekend with a hope that I'd finish it - and I did! I haven't gotten it to FFO stage yet, but love the stitching on it! 
All ready for a Pendibule start! 

Cute Deer with all the stitching done in 3 days! 

May 16-18 - Mill Hill Dahlia kit - I started this one on my camping trip back in March and was glad to keep working on it - not too much progress, but glad to keep this one moving ahead. 
Dahlia starting point

Dahlia after three days

May 19-21 - this one was started at my quilt retreat in Shipshewana - I purposely picked a project that didn't require magnification and would be good to work on during introductions - this embroidery project - Autumn Embroidery by Crabapple Hill - was a great choice. It uses overdyed threads like you'd use for cross-stitch and is stitched on a piece of stabilized fabric. I got a decent start considering that my focus for these three days was really sewing.  
Autumn Embroidery ready to be started

Three stems in three days

May 22-24 - Weekend in Paris, a Dimensions Gold Collection kit - my goal for this one was to work from the top of the design as it is pretty much a full coverage piece - I figure if I got to the top, then it would be easier to work my way down. 
Weekend in Paris starting point

Really happy with three days of progress on this one - hooray for half-stitches! 

May 25-28 - I had plans for a different start, but wasn't feeling it so pulled out this Lizzie Kate freebie from the pandemic. This will be one of my inspiring stitches - I am working on several for an upcoming occasion. I changed the fabric and almost all the colors and I am loving this one! 
A small start on Be Kind, Be Happy, Be Well by Lizzie Kate

Some decent progress after three days

May 29-June 1 - my last project and the WIP that I started as my New Year's Start - Winter Bell Pull by Tiny Modernist. This one actually wound up stretching into June 1, because I didn't bring it with my when we went to visit family over Memorial Day weekend. I had planned to finish up at the snow globe, but didn't quite get there because our power went out that evening! I was mid-stitch when we heard an explosion and everything went dark (inside the house at least, it was still light enough outside). It was an abrupt end to the month, but I am really pleased with all I got done.   
Winter Bell Pull starting point

My end to StitchMaynia, stopped mid-stitch by a power outage

In the end, I think this mix of WIPs and new starts is the right thing for me - a little new and a little old works well and three days' progress gives me enough to feel like I've accomplished something. I also like the mix of smaller, midsize, and larger projects and feel that I will get a few of these finished up more quickly so I won't be carrying 9 WIPs for too long. 

Hope you enjoyed the show - let me know if there's one you like best - I will put in a few days on your favorites! 

Comments

Carol said…
It’s a hard choice since I like all of them but I can’t wait to see the specialty stitches on Graveyard Goblins.
You had a productive Maynia, Jennifer! I like each of your projects for different reasons, but I really like the Dahlia.