May 2021 Recap

Hi everyone - I am back again to share a couple more pictures and recap all the crafty things that happened in May. 

In addition to my retreat, I was really busy in May stitching all but one day of the month for the annual activity called StitchMaynia. The event started as a way to start a new project every day, but I haven't done it that way since the first year that I participated. This year, my plan was to work on each of my 5 works in progress (WIPs) and then have 5 new starts. With 10 projects, I decided to do a three day rotation for each one and it worked out really well. I won't go through each of the projects, but you can see them and hear me talk about them in my latest flosstube if you'd like to have more detail. Here are two collages of the projects I worked on in May! 

StitchMaynia WIPs at the end of their rotations

New Starts at the end of their rotations

At the end of the month, I had 1 extra day and I used that to finish up one of the projects I'd started that was quick and easy. I really like this Lizzie Kate Spring piece and plan to finish it into a pillow. I did switch a few of the colors based on my preferences and what I had in my stash - better to use what I have if I can make it work! It is stitched on 30 ct. Lambswool linen. I really appreciate the simplicity and whimsy in the Lizzie Kate patterns - on this piece, the little bees around the basket and the ladybug are my favorites. 
My one StitchMaynia finish!

I also spent some time in May crocheting. I had several recorded sessions I need to listen to for work, so it worked out nicely that I could crochet and still pay attention. I finished up Airy Lace Shell, and unfortunately I don't have a picture as I dropped it off yesterday at my mom's house so that I can block it - she has a good, large blocking board and I hope to get up there this week to get it blocked so I can wear it soon. It is a lovely blue sleeveless sweater and the best part is that it fits! I will share pictures here once it is blocked, or you will probably get a chance to see them earlier over on Instagram where I am @jenquilter. 

I didn't do a whole lot of sewing outside of the retreat, but I did quilt two tops and I bound one of them too. The first top is one of my UFOs. I started this quilt in 2016 at a spring retreat and finished it 5 years later at another one! This pattern is called Hourglass and it is from the book Scrap Basket Beauties by Kim Brackett. I like the soft pastels for this one - it would make a nice baby girl quilt or a nice nap quilt in the spring. I quilted this with free motion wavy lines in a lovely light purple Glide thread. It has Warm and White batting, so is nice and light. I am really happy to have another UFO finished for the year! 

The second item I quilted is a patriotic table runner/small wall quilt of my mom's. I found it when we were looking for something else and offered to get it quilted up so she could finish it. This one also got wavy lines in the flag stripes and stars in the blue field and borders. It was a real quickie and I am glad I was able to finish it up for her. 

Mom's flag quilt

I continued to work on baby quilt #2 this month (it is the same pattern as the one in this post, but a different color way) for my aunt's great nieces. I didn't get it finished by month-end, but I did have it all cut out and made good progress over Memorial Day weekend. Keep an eye out for a June finish for this one. 

For the stash reporting for this month, it looks pretty good. I used quite a bit of fabric between the baby quilt and my retreat projects, and I only bought a little bit of fabric at retreat, most of which I have a plan for. Here are the numbers: 

Linking up with Donna at quiltpaintcreate for Sunday stash reporting: 

Fabric added this month: 2 1/4 yards
Fabric used this month: 10 3/8 yards
Fabric added year to date: 11 1/2 yards
Fabric used year to date: 30 1/2 yards
Next fabric used: 19 yards

And linking up with Kate for the stitching time reporting: 

30/31 days with at least 15 minutes of stitching, quilting, or crocheting (and on 13 of those days, I double-crafted!) - currently, I am sitting at 80% year to date of days with 15 minutes of stitching time and am really happy with that number. 

Hope you had a great May and that you've been able to find some time for things you love. See you all again soon! 

Comments

Kate said…
Hourglass turned out beautifully! Congrats on the finish and on all the other stitchy things you moved closer to finished in May. Hope June is as productive for you.
Oh Jennifer, you had a most productive month of May. What fun items you worked on during the month!
Carol said…
I'm always amazed at how much you create each month, Jennifer! I really love the colors you used on the LK piece--perfect for spring. And your quilt top looks so lovely quilted. Your mom's flag table runner is really special, too. Love that you two share a common love of handwork and sewing. I look forward to seeing your blue sweater next month! Enjoy your week ahead ♥
Miaismine said…
Your hourglass quilt indeed soft and comforting with those pastel colors! Great finishes!