Mid-August 2020

Good morning! It has been a busy month so I thought I'd pop in before it ends and share a few things with you. Work has slowed down a little bit - the long, long days have turned into mostly normal with a few long days, which is pretty good one month after launching a new global system. My team is amazing and they really get the credit for doing all the hard work. One of my primary goals at work this month is encouraging everyone to take a few days off as many of us have worked with little or no vacation most of the year. That includes me, so I am enjoying my first full week off for the year. It coincides with school, so no travel for us, but that's okay - it has been a great week to work on a few things around the house, as well as having lots of good stitching and quilting time. 

So, let's dig into the projects that I've worked on so far in August - as I write this, I've stitched or quilted every day this month! All of the finishes so far are stitching related, but there will be a few things coming from the sewing room by the end of this week. 

I finally picked up the last thread I needed to finish this piece, which I worked on earlier this year. I came very close to a finish, but didn't have one thread, bought it, and then couldn't find it anywhere! I finally gave up and bought a new skein a few weeks ago and this one is now finished. Where Liberty Dwells by Hands On Design - stitched with some called for colors and some subs from my stash, and on a mystery piece of linen left over from another project. This one will finish into a pillow...once I find the velveteen that came with the pattern to make the pillow! (I usually do not lose things, so this is driving me a little crazy!) I made one adjustment and changed the color of the quilt block stars to red. The colors are a little off in this picture...but I really love the letters and the great variation in the thread color (Wood Grain I think) and the flowers with their red backstitching. 


The next project is my Months of the Year Stitch-a-long from Stitchingly, created by Durene Jones. I saw this and bought it on impulse at the start of the year, because I loved the first block. I used stash fabric (that will probably be really tight when I get the fourth row in!) and had most of the threads. I just love the bright colors in this piece - it took me several months to realize there was a flower in every month, and now I look forward to seeing what's next! I was a little behind on this project which releases a block monthly, but I caught up thanks to some long stitching sessions over the weekends and on my week off. Here are July and August, with a shot of the piece in whole before I started on August. 
July block celebrating Delphinium and International Friendship day
July - Delphinium & Int'l Friendship Day

The first 7 months

August - Poppy & Obon-bon Festival

August also found us at the start of school. In Indiana, we usually start school in early August (sometimes very late July), and have a couple longer breaks in fall and spring, then end the school year in May. Due to the state of our state, they pushed school start back a week and it is online only until at least Labor Day. After that, they will re-evaluate based on local illness rates to determine if it is safe enough to return in person. Even when that is the case, my daughter has decided to do the full semester virtually. The day starts at 7:15 with Orchestra, so we hear the lovely sounds of the violin each morning in our house! I have to give huge props to the teachers and administrators, as we are doing live-streaming of all classes, so it really feels more like a full school day. The IT teams at the school have done a great job of providing resources and help to ensure that all kids can get online and learn. The kids have both found a group of friends to have a virtual lunch with, so they manage to include some social time in the day still. This year is 8th grade for my (tall) son, and 10th grade for my daughter. I am also super grateful for having older kids - it is far easier to send a teenager upstairs to "go to school" than it is a younger child who needs help logging on, joining calls, muting, etc. It will be an interesting school year for sure. 
Start of school 2020 - out for a picture and back up to their bedrooms!

I'll finish this post with a relatively rare picture of me - I created a list of things to do this week and one of them was a long bike ride on a local rail trail - my husband and I went yesterday on my birthday and I got in a nice ride to start my 46th year. I also started a new stitching project, which was just as much fun!

Comments

Jennifer, I wish both of your kids most successful school years. Good for you on getting in a long bike ride on your birthday! And Happy Birthday wishes to you! Your HOD finish looks super and you already know I really like the monthly block finishes. Have a wonderful weekend!
Moneik said…
Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great year ahead. I love your stitch sampler. Sounds like you enjoyed your week off.
Laura said…
Happy Birthday! I hope your kids are successful at on-line school. I agree that it is easier having older kids than elementary school kids during all of this. My poor brother is in charge of homeschooling his seventh grader (who is not a problem), his third grader and his first grader. My youngest son just graduated from college, so this is not an issue here! Thanks for showing your cross stitch.
Carol said…
Well, first of all, I want to with you a big Happy Birthday, Jennifer! I do hope your coming year is filled with wonderful things for you and your family. Speaking of family--I'm in shock at how much the kids have grown--wow!! I would be dwarfed by them at only 5'1" :) I wish them both the best of luck in this strange school year. I've often said, I'm glad I don't have school age kids during this pandemic with the mess of virtual learning. My sister just retired from teaching high school English after a long career and said online teaching was twice the work for teachers as being in a classroom.

Congratulations on your Where Liberty Dwells finish and lovely progress on that cute Durene Jones design. The colors are so vibrant and fun!

Glad you were able to take some time off after your busy, busy work year. My husband is winding down his career and hopes to be fully retired by the end of September. I'm really looking forward to it as he, like you, spent many, many hours on his job.

Enjoy your week ahead ♥
Kate said…
A week off is really nice. You definitely used yours to good advantage on the stitching stuff. Where Liberty Dwells turned out beautifully! The stitch along project looks good too. Happy belated birthday. Hopefully you don't end up paying for all the time off as you go back to work this week. Hope the R&R mood lasts for longer than today.