May 2020 - The Virtual Retreat and Stitch Maynia 2020


Hi everyone and hope that you're all doing well. As I type this, we are enjoying a gorgeous early summer day with sunshine and low humidity. How was your month of May?  Mine was great, and I had lots of time for quilting and stitching. 

Let's start with quilting - May is the month of my spring retreat in Shipshewana, an event I always look forward to. I am sure you can guess already that the retreat was cancelled this year due to our stay at home orders. After some debate and discussion, my mom and I decided to still have a mini-retreat at home, and we called it our virtual retreat. We had Zoom calls a couple times and enjoyed talking with other quilters and seeing what they were working on. I had a really productive virtual retreat, and here's what I made: 

I bound the table runner that I pieced last month and had quilted the weekend before our virtual retreat - it will be great to put on our coffee table around the fourth of July! 

I pulled out a kit that I bought a long time ago and finally got it put together - it is all fused, hand-dyed fabric. I'd used my scan-n-cut to cut out all the pieces back in December and it was great to get them all put on the backing. I still need to quilt it, but isn't it cute? 

I am a little behind on the scrap blocks that I am making for my son's quilt, so I got the third set of them done in blue/teal. Now that I have three colors together, I am going to put together a few of the finished blocks to make sure my son likes it before I go further. 
The next thing I worked on was my log cabin blocks that I have worked on at a few other retreats, and thought I would be happy if I got the last set of blocks together. Once I got them together, then I kept going and wound up with the whole top finished! I also got it loaded and quilted this month, but don't have it bound yet - that's on the docket for June, so hopefully I will be able to show you the finished quilt next month.
My last project of retreat was another stitching bag - I bought the fabric for this back in December and love how it came together. 


On the stitching front, it was also a great month. I participated in Stitch Maynia, an annual stitch-a-long during the month of May. This year, I decided to start a few new projects, and my goal was to find at least a little time to stitch every day. I did it - 31 days of stitching! It helps not having any evening activities that I have to be at ;)  I did finish two projects - coincidentally both by Sam Sarah Designs! 


Here are the stats for the month: 

Stash Report - 
Fabric added this month - 0 yards
Fabric used this month - 3 1/8 yards

Fabric added year to date - 0 yards
Fabric used year to date - 13 1/4 yards

Days with 15 minutes of stitching - 31 of 31 = 100%!! 

I am linking up with Donna at QuiltPaintCreate for Stash Report Sunday and Kate at Life in Pieces for the weekly Stitching report 

Exercise report - weeks with at least 90 minutes of exercise - 2 of 4 weeks 

Comments

Kate said…
You did have a really productive May! Love your log cabin star quilt. Congrats on a 100% on the stitching time for May. Hope June is as good!
Miaismine said…
Congratulations! Great numbers!
Carol said…
Your description of the day you wrote this post sounds perfect, Jennifer! I so love days like that with perfect temperatures and low humidity... the older I get, the more the humidity bothers me. Wish every day could be like that day!

Well, your reduced evening activity schedule certainly has parlayed itself into lots of creative stitching and quilting time. What a wonderful month you’ve had! Love the patriotic finish (DC is one of my favorite destinations since my youngest lives there) and I’m sure you’ll love displaying it for years to come. The little cross stitch finishes are adorable and yay for 100% stitching during the month. I didn’t even manage that!

Hope you and your family manage to get away this summer for some sort of socially distanced vacation. Take care now and enjoy June 💙
Both of your cross stitch finishes are adorable, Jennifer. Your virtual quilting retreat turned out very productive for you. I LOVE your log cabin quilt top. Incredible! Your patriotic table runner is super and a perfect addition for your July décor.

Have a productive June!