December 2019

With all the travel in the last few months, it was really nice to have a month (mostly) at home - I did take two quick trips, but both because I wanted to! It was busy with holiday prep and wrapping up the work year, but I managed to squeeze in some good crafting time. Let's go craft-by-craft. 

On the stitching front, I had 5 finishes, a record for this year. I had been close on two of my WIPs and was able to finish them both up relatively early in the month. They were also both on my Stitch 9 Challenge list, so it was nice to wrap them up. 
Belle Pepper by Little House Needlework (adapted to fit my fabric)
Playing with Jax by Cricket Collection
Next up was the December Lizzie Kate Flip-It. It stitched up quickly, although I had to purchase some more thread to finish it up. Once I finished December, I went ahead and stitched January as well. I am so glad to have all 12 of them finished! 




My last stitching project was also my last Stitch 9 Challenge project and I decided a day or two before Christmas that I wanted to get it done. I pulled it out and started my stitching a few days before Christmas and finished it up on New Year's Eve. This is Shasta Daisy and it was a pre-cut kit. I think it will look nice with a spring candle. 

I also put some good effort to finishing a few projects over the holidays. I had a few that didn't go as well, but I got a few others done - and I am not sure how old these are...maybe 15 or 20 years old? They look like some of the Mill Hill kits that I worked on during college!


Now on to quilting - I really enjoyed two weeks off of work at the end of the year to get me back into my sewing room and I am glad with the projects I finished. I also have a few more in process and hope to have some finishes to show you on them in a few weeks.  The projects I finished are cross-stitch project bags - one for me and two for gifts. 

Next we have a new craft - well, not new, but one that I hadn't really done much of. Several years ago, I bought a Brother Scan N'Cut with the plan to cut fabric for appliques. I did okay - cut out a few projects - but never really figured out how to work it well. A friend of mine in Illinois also has one and she gets together with a couple friends once a month to work on their machines and keep the knowledge current. My mom and I headed over the second Friday in December and spent the day with them and it was great! I learned how to cut stick-on vinyl, heat-transfer vinyl, fabric, and paper. I had such a good time! I wound up making shirts for the kids for Christmas and they were big hits. 


In addition to all the crafty time, we had a great month - my daughter and I saw Hamilton in Indy (our second time to see the show and it was just as good the second time!), we cut down a lovely Christmas tree that made our house smell like the holidays, I enjoyed Christmas shopping with my teenage daughter, we had a lovely Christmas eve and Christmas day with both sides of the family, and we spent a few days visiting my cousins to wrap up the month. Overall, a good end to a good year! 

Last up are the stats for the month: 

Stash Report: 
Fabric added this month: 3 1/4 yards - for project bags and a quilt border
Fabric used this month: 3 3/8 yards - for a quilt back and project bags
Net fabric used: 1/8 yard! 
I will do the full report in a year in review post soon. 

Crafting Time: 
I spent 15 minutes or more on my crafts for 24/31 days in December, for 77% - my highest for the year! 

Hope you had a great December - I will be back soon to share my year-in-review. 


Comments

It looks like you had a wonderful crafting month, Jennifer. Good for you on getting your stitched items finished and that Daisy piece makes me smile. The shirts you created look super! Have never heard of that Brother Scan n Cut so will go check it out. It sounded like you had a great December with family and friends. Wishing you a very happy and crafty New Year!
Laura said…
I really enjoy seeing your cross stitching. I follow more quilters than stitchers, so your blog is a treat.

We saw Hamilton for the first time in October. What a great show!
Kate said…
Love the kid's shirts, those are really fun. Glad you were able to get in some good crafting time over the break and some good family time too. It was hard to go back to work last week, but now I'm not dreading tomorrow so badly. Happy stitching this week.