Shipshewana Spring Retreat 2019

You might know that I don't do nearly as much quilting these days as I did when I started my blog. Between working full time, raising two busy kids, running a Girl Scout troop, and splitting time with my other hobbies, the quilting seems to take a little bit of a hit. I have come to love my retreats even more because of this. I have dedicated sewing time and really enjoy creating, usually projects that have been on my to-do list for a while. This year was no exception!  Our retreat used to start on Thursday morning at 11, and we'd drive up on Wednesday, do some shopping and dinner, then lazily make our way to the sewing room in time to get set up and started by 11. This year, we gained almost a full extra day, as we could start Wednesday at 3 if we paid $5 and boy, was it worth it! 

The first project I had to work on was my challenge - last year, our group all bought a yard of the same fabric and had to make a project with that fabric. Mine waited for inspiration the better part of the year! I finally had an idea, so I pulled some fabric that I had bought for the purpose, grabbed a specialty ruler and went to work. I spent Wednesday cutting, piecing, and eventually quilting and binding my project. I think it turned out so fun and I have it hung up on my mini-wall behind my longarm. 


Here are all of our projects at show and tell Friday night - we had quilts, a purse, a pillow, and chap stick holders!  In the end, we had so much fun with the challenge that we decided to do it again - this time the fabric is tan with red and blue, and this one will be due in the fall. I am hoping inspiration doesn't wait to hit me until the week before retreat for this one :) 

On Thursday, I spent the morning working on putting together my rainbow scrap challenge quilt, and when I got tired of working on that one (it was tedious), I pulled out a couple panels that I made into wall hangings and bound the quilt that I started at retreat last year. Here's the progress pic from Saturday night, and a full picture of the finished quilt. It has a super soft backing and it is great for snuggling on the couch. 
Square Dance quilt - pattern from Gudrun Erla, Sweetwater fabric

Friday brought time to have some fun. I got Julie Herman (Jaybird Quilts) Alphabet book for my birthday the year before last and I wanted to play around a bit. I decided to start with a table runner for Valentine's Day, and I had so much fun making it that I decided to go ahead and make a second project - this one will be turned into a pillow for my daughter. She loves all things rainbow, so I think she will really like it. 


Saturday was dedicated to my scrap quilt - one of my big goals for retreat was to go home with this finished! I worked on it all day, hoped to finish it by show and tell (that didn't happen), and finally put the last sections together at about 11:00 pm. I am so happy with how this is coming together! It still needs two borders and then will be ready for quilting. I have a few other things in the queue ahead of it, but I look forward to getting back to it so that I can get it finished. 
Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2018 center
By Sunday morning, I only had one project left to make and it was a cinch. It is a panel with borders on just two sides. I had it done and the binding made in 1/2 an hour! I plan to get this one quilted over the summer, as I think it will be a fun quilt to hang in our family room this fall. 

All in all, it was a really great retreat. I especially enjoy the time with my mom and my quilting friends. Already looking forward to the fall retreat! 

Comments

Jennifer, I enjoyed your retreat recap. You got a lot accomplished. I really like what you created with the challenge fabric. Each of your projects look fabulous. Well done!
Moneik said…
Sounds like you had a wonderful retreat and got a lot accomplished. I am in need of a retreat for myself, but alas I will use my upcoming vacations to sew while the kids are at camp.
Kate said…
What a great way to spend a weekend. You got lots done. Love your Rainbow Star quilt! Hopefully you've got some carry over momentum and have made even more progress on your projects.
Carol said…
Sounds like a fun and productive retreat, Jennifer! I, honestly, am amazed at all you get done while working full time and raising a family... I only worked part-time and was never as productive as you! Love that beautiful Rainbow Scrap Quilt so much--beautiful work as always. Enjoy your weekend!