Fall and Winter Recipe Recap

It's been a while since I shared our new recipes. I keep thinking that we will run out of recipes to try, but we never do! This month is all dinners. 

Starting with an easy dinner, we had Chicken Schnitzel from Cooking Light. It was a great and also easy weeknight dinner. 


Next up was a meal we all weren't quite sure about...it starts with rotisserie chicken and farro, the latter of which we'd never tried before. It was also a fairly quick to prepare and it turned out great! We all enjoyed it and decided it would be a really nice summer meal. It is the 15-Minute Chicken Shawarma Bowls
Next up is Chicken with Capers and Couscous from my Mary Englebreit Fan Fare Cookbook. This book is a compilation of her fan's recipes and we've found it a little hit or miss. This one was a hit though. 

Another Cooking Light recipe is next - Linguine with Ricotta Meatballs. We forgot to add the ricotta into the meatballs so we just added a little on top. This recipe was okay, but we decided we have had other recipes similar to this that we better, so I won't be hanging on to this one. 
In late fall, I decided it was time to find something to make with my late crop of tomatillos. I have grown them for a couple years and didn't always know what to do with them, but I found the most amazing recipe this year - Pork Tenderloin in Tangy Tomatillo Sauce from The Kitchn. It was so good and we all liked it. I think I know how I will use my tomatillos from now on! 
Next up on a sideways placemat (my favorites over the holidays!) - something I've been interested to try for a while - cauliflower rice. I saw the recipe in Cooking Light for Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice. I really liked it and it was a lot lighter than a rice meal. Mike and the kids weren't as big fans, but I will probably try to sneak it in again (or I will make it for myself sometime to take for lunches!). 
 How about some Mexican?  The Pioneer Woman calls this recipe Simple, Perfect Enchiladas, but they really weren't simple and they were no better than when we follow the recipe on the back of the enchilada can. Back to the good old standby recipe next time! 
 Next to last is a recipe thanks to our new addition - Imperfect Produce. We signed up for Imperfect a few months ago and we get a box full of produce every other week. I love it and it has really encouraged me to explore some more fruits and veggies. I got some spaghetti squash and decided to make a spaghetti squash "pizza casserole." I winged it based on a recipe my Girl Scout troop made while doing the New Cuisines badge last year. I baked the squash first, then added some garlic salt, pepper, cheese, and pepperoni to the top and baked it again. This was another one that I thought was great and the kids not so much. It won't stop me from getting another spaghetti squash! 
Last up is a recipe from our new cookbook! My friend Beth got me this one for Christmas and it is really fun. The cookbook is called Uncomplicated, and this recipe is the Easier Chicken and Parmesan Risotto. It was really good and we will definitely make this one again. 

All in all, we tried a lot of good recipes and a few not so good, but that's part of this game. Hope you see something here that you want to try! 

Comments

Beth said…
I love using cauliflower rice instead of "real" rice!!!! Glad you tried something from Uncomplicated and loved it! I bought it for myself as well and am excited to cook something this week while Mom is here! :)
Carol said…
I always enjoy these posts, Jennifer, and your honest reviews of them :) The chicken schnitzel and pork tenderloin are two recipes that I could definitely see trying. Glad your "imperfect" produce has worked out so well for you, too! Have a great stitching Sunday!
Kate said…
You tried out some fun new stuff. At least nothing was so bad it wasn't edible (we've had that happen a couple of times with new recipes).