A mostly purple weekend

I was glad to have some good sewing time this weekend in between the Pinewood Derby, a night with friends, and a mountain of laundry! I was able to spend a couple hours each day in my sewing room and moved forward a couple projects. 

First up, my blocks for February for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I made three blocks again this month and messed up the piecing of one of them again this month! The good news is that I had a few extra strip sets, so it didn't set me back too much. As I cut my scraps, I realized that I had a lot of string left over, so I decided to make a string block as a leader/ender. I made string blocks a few years ago, and they are patiently waiting for more blocks, so I may continue this over the coming months. 
Purple Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks
Bonus string block
After finishing the blocks last month, I did get a little cutting for the sashing done. As I went back and looked at the directions again this month, I realized I needed one 2" square and 8 smaller squares and I'd only cut the smaller squares. The good news is that my blue scraps were still handy, so I cut out my purple and the remaining blue cornerstone pieces. I won't be using these until I am ready to put the quilt together (probably next year), but I am glad to cut them when I already have my scraps out! 
 Today, I worked on my UFO for the month. I signed up for a buck-a-block way back in 2008 (when I had a baby!) and made the blocks, but then they got put away because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them. I pulled them out again at the start of this month and decided I would make the opposite blocks (dark where there was light before) and see how far I could get. As of this afternoon, I have 6 blocks duplicated and the fabric prepped to make a few more. I don't have enough fabric to make all of them in duplicate, so I will have to play with the setting to decide how I want to finish this. It's been fun to work on these blocks again, and now I've taught the baby (who is going to turn 11 this week!!!) how to pull the paper off the back. It's nice to have help :) 

Last week I had some super early meetings, so between that and the Olympics being on, I didn't get down to sew at all during the week. This week shouldn't be quite as early, so I am hoping to get back to the sewing room mid-week to make some more progress on this UFO. I won't finish it by the end of this month, but I think I will bring it to my retreat so I can start thinking about how to finish it. 

Hope you had a nice weekend with some time to do just what you wanted! 

Linking up with Angela at So Scrappy for Scraphappy Saturday

Comments

You purple star blocks are so great.... mess up enough times and you have a new design element - ha ha!! Great job
LOVE those PURPLE stars for the RSC!!
Carol said…
That is so cute that your daughter is now helping you with the quilt you began in 2008, Jennifer! I really love the blue and white (of course!). And the purples and blue blocks are lovely, too.

Hope you are finding more sewing time this week :)
Dar said…
Your purple blocks look good. I love your purple string block too. It's comforting to hear that you have a UFO from 2008. It's fun to bring them back out and try to finish them. It's almost light a whole new project. lol
Kate said…
Very fun scrappy purple blocks. Looks like you made good progress in spite of the busy week. Your UFO is looking great. Making the same blocks in the reverse colors is really cool. It's going to be a gorgeous finish no matter how you lay out the blocks.
Laura said…
Purple is one of my favorite colors. Your blocks look great! My goal is to finish another graduation quilt and then start the RSC again.
Cheryl said…
Very nice purple blocks, what a great way to use up some scraps.