2018 Goals

Wow, it's been a cold week here in Central Indiana - it was -8 when I drove to work on Tuesday morning and warmed up to an almost balmy 14 yesterday. The crazy thing is that they say we will be in the 50s by next week! 

So, I have been thinking quite a bit on goals for 2018, and to be honest, I haven't come up with a lot, but given that my best change from 2017 came from a goal/resolution that I didn't even consciously set, I think that's okay! 

So, let's start with the crafting goals: 
1) Continue to work through UFOs - I've again made a list of UFOs to work on, and this year, I used the random number generator to help me create my list! I have 17 quilting UFOs and hope to have 12 or less by year end, which means I also need to make sure that the projects I work on don't become UFOs! I follow both APQ and Judy Laquidara when they choose their number for the month, then look at my list and decide which one I want to work on. For January, I am going to start with #12. 

2) Get back to playing with scraps - I did some scrap blocks a couple years ago and it really didn't even make a dent in my scraps. As all my tubs of scraps are full, as are my tubs of fat quarters, I need to work on getting them down to a more reasonable volume. I am going to make scrap blocks for the quilt in the picture below. It is a pattern that is in my binder of "someday" projects, and I think it will work well with scraps. My plan is to make a few blocks each month (the quilt in the pattern has 30 blocks, so if I average 3 a month, I will have a nice size lap quilt). I am joining Angela the Rainbow Scrap Challenge to keep me motivated to work on this. 
RSC 2018 Pattern and first set of scraps - light blues
3) Do a little more quilting and crochet. There are some sub-goals in this one:
- Try to find at least 15 minutes to quilt at least three days a week (that will equal at least 156 days of quilting in 2018). I'll be following along with Kate at Life in Pieces to see how I do on this goal. 
- Finish 3 or more crochet projects. I'd like to get back to doing a little here and there and working through some of the yarn I've bought and the projects I've marked on Ravelry. 
- Quilt 12 quilts/projects on my HQ. I only quilted 9 in 2018 and my machine went for long stretches with either the same quilt on it or no quilt on it and I'd like to change that this year.  
First quilting done for the year - a panel quilted for my mom! 
I don't feel that I need to set a goal for cross-stitch this year, as I don't seem to have a problem finding time to work on that, and I have about 15 kits ready to go so lots to pull from. 

On the personal front, I want to make some progress on exercise and specifically weight loss. I continue to add a couple pounds a year and I want to put that to a stop. I have a specific goal to lose and keep off at least 5 pounds this year, preferably 8-10. I track my weight in the Lose It app, and I weighed in Jan 1st - it wasn't pretty - so I will be able to track progress throughout the year. 

That's it for the goals - what are you working on in 2018? 


Comments

That looks like a good project for the RSC. LOOK!! You even quilted a quilt in BLUE, too! Best of luck working through your other goals for 2018.
PaulaB quilts said…
Lots of luck in meeting your goals, a nice variety. The Scrap quilt will be lovely as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
Carol said…
Lots of good goals, Jennifer, both in your crafting and personal fronts. The weight does tend to creep on in your 40s and 50s and that is when I became serious about exercise. It has really helped, I'm happy to say (and I'll be 63 in a week!). Good luck to you!
Kate said…
A very reasonable list of goals, I hope you can find some time to stitch each week. Being consistent is what has helped me move some projects along. Good luck with the quilting and the personal goals.
scraphappy said…
Lots of great goals this year. Glad that using your scraps is one of them. Great quilt choice for rainbow blocks. I guess everything makes a great choice for rainbow scraps in my opinion though.