2017 Stash Report Wrap-up

I skipped the stash report in November, because I spent only one day in the sewing room - it was a crazy month! I did use some stash on that day, as I was making a back for a quilt that is now finished and gifted. In December, I switched to a new assignment at work (same team, same position, but supporting a new group of people) and it really consumed me for the first half of the month, so I had little sewing time. Luckily, my company has "use-it-or-lose-it" vacation, so I was off work on the 18th for the remainder of the year and got a little more sewing done during my break. 

I made a couple fabric cubes for cross stitch projects that I finished this year (and one from 2016!), I bound the quilt mentioned above, and I made a double zip bag for a Christmas present. Have you seen these bags yet? They are cute and it was relatively easy to make. 
The last thing I did with stash was cutting out all the pieces to make a new purse. This will become the Lazy Girl Claire purse. I've made this before and it was one of my favorites. 
So, I didn't add any stash in November or December and I used 4 7/8 yards. That helps my year end totals: 

Added for the year: 16 1/8 yards (the smallest amount I've added since I started tracking in 2010)
Used for the year: 48 5/8 yards (also the smallest amount I've used since I started tracking)
Net Used for 2018: 32 1/2 yards (my second worst usage year by total yards)

I was inspired by Kate at Life in Pieces to do a little graph of my fabric usage over time. 
You can see that my volume has gone markedly down since the early years. I was finishing a lot of Lois' UFOs those first few years, so had some good usage. In 2015, I went through stash and donated around 80 yards to our quilt guild. There isn't much a difference in the piles in the basement even with that donation, but it did fill 100 mystery bags that were used to raise money for the guild. I am glad to have some of that older fabric - and a lot of fabric that just isn't my style - out of the stash.  

Over 8 years, I've used just under 800 yards, brought in just over 280 yards, for a net stash reduction of 511 yards. Overall, I am pretty pleased with those numbers. Wow - that's a lot of fabric! 

Hope you had a fun year with your fabric, whether you track usage or not. I think I can say pretty safely that it helps me from going crazy when I see things I like. My goal for next year is to keep the fabric added numbers around the same, but increase fabric used - it would be great to get back in the eighties for amount used.  

I am linking up my year end stash report with quiltpaintcreate

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is some awesome fabric usage over time. You'll have to let me in on your secret for using 80 yards of fabric a year and working. Very cute bag, haven't seen that one.
Kate said…
Wow, totally awesome graph! That's a lot of fabric out over those years. I'm afraid my numbers over that same time period would be so negative that I couldn't put it all on one graph. Congrats on the effective stash management over the years. Hopefully work lines out and you have more time to stitch more in 2018. Have a very Happy New Year!
Marie said…
way to go! I can't imagine although if I attempted to quantify my yards it might surprise me ... Happy New Year ...
Anonymous said…
I'm impressed that you had a used-more total this year, and with your years of using! Great job! I hope you have more time in the sewing room in 2018.
Moneik said…
Great useage! I was at about 116 yards used this year, which feels great. I used 225... so a lot of yards in as well. I'm content with where I'm at.