September 2017 Stash Report

I had a great month of sewing and stitching, so I will share today the results on my stash and a few pictures related to the stash. I'll be back soon with the monthly list of accomplishments. I set a goal at the beginning of the month to sew every day in September, and it really did get me into the sewing room, using some stash and working on some projects that wouldn't have seen the light of day! 

I'll start with the report and then tell you a little about what makes it up: 

Stash added this month: 1/4 yard
Stash used this month: 10 1/4 yards

Stash added year to date: 12 7/8 yards
Stash used year to date: 39 5/8 yards

Net stash used: 26 3/4 yards

I made two quilt backs - one for a baby quilt and one for a wall-sized quilt that has been on my UFO list for two years. 


Baby quilt back ready for quilting
Kaleidoscope quilt back - lots of fossil ferns
 Then, after not making baby gifts for a couple years, I started my second in a month! I made a fabric book to celebrate the birth of my son's teacher's second son. The first one got a fabric book when he taught my daughter two years ago. Also in this picture is a pet bed. Over the month, I used 3 yards (between me and my mom) to repurpose ugly fabric for pets. I fill the beds with leftover batting and scraps and they are donated to the Humane Society.  

Next up was the use of some stash for borders. I made this Hourglass top at retreat 2...maybe 3 years ago and didn't have any complimentary fabric for the border. I went digging on "National Sew a Jelly Roll Day" and found a couple pieces that work well with the pastel fabrics in the quilt. I decided that I should really work on moving forward a UFO vs. starting another project made with a jelly roll! I have the backing fabric selected for this and hope to get it made soon, so that this one will be ready for quilting. 

Last up for fabric usage is my favorite. It was my UFO for Judy Laquidara's UFO Challenge and I pulled it out one night to see if I could figure out something to do that would hide the fact that half of my blocks are 1/2" too small. By floating the blocks, I was able to make them all fit and get it into a top! I absolutely love it and can't wait to get it quilted and hang it up. I think it will be a perfect quilt to hang (it is wall sized) in the winter after I take down all the Christmas decorations. 
 I did add one small bit of fabric - my mom, daughter, and I went to a small quilt show near us yesterday and I found a kit at one of the vendors that I thought was cute and will go well on our kitchen table. It makes a small 12"x12" candle mat, and I am going to take it with me on retreat, so hopefully I'll have that stash used soon. 
It was a great month for stash usage - amazing what happens when you actually spend some time in your sewing room :) Hope you had a great month with your stash too! 

I am linking up my stash report over at quiltpaintcreate - come see how others quilters have used their stash. 

Comments

Meloney said…
You are doing great. It's so much fun seeing what everyone is working on.
Anonymous said…
Love the kit. I need to do the same and work on old projects. I'm drowning in projects in process. The UFO looks great, can't tell there was any problem with the blocks.
Kate said…
Congratulations on all your stash usage this month. Your UFO turned out beautifully! Congrats on finding a setting solution. That always seems to be my sticking points with those BOM projects.
Preeti said…
Floating blocks make a stunning top. What a great idea!!!
Moneik said…
Great job working on your projects. I did really well at the beginning of the month, but the stress at the end caused me to fall short.
Laura said…
Great save on the quilt where the blocks were too small! You have made a lot of progress.
Miaismine said…
wow, you did such a great job this month! How I miss my sewing room! I'm having trouble just sewing 15 minutes a day! Thank you for the great post and pictures! I also enjoyed those beautiful patterns!