I always enjoy taking a few minutes to think back on the past year to see how I did on my goals - I have set a couple "different" goals over the years, but some of those have had a profound difference in daily life. The biggest change has been the result of a goal set in 2013 to use the cookbooks we have. Four years later, I am still meal planning and pulling out new recipes to try, and we have all expanded our palates. None of my 2016 goals were that impactful, but here's a rundown of how I did on my 2016 crafting and personal goals:
1. First, a finish - this is going to be my mantra for this year. I would like to start each month by finishing something. It can be cross-stitch, crochet, or quilting. I started off well on this one, and used an instagram hashtag to record my progress, which shows 4 pictures - Jan-Mar, and May. I did end off the year finishing up several items, so feel good about that, but it was tough to keep the finish to the first thing I did.
2. APQ Resolution - I have made a list for the American Patchwork & Quilting UFO Challenge. I did this with my bee several years ago and really made some good progress. This time, I am mixing up UFOs with kits and patterns that I just really want to make, so some months I will get to start something new. I did okay on this one by finishing 6 projects completely and finishing 2 tops. I will participate in the APQ & also Judy Laquidara's UFO challenges this year, and I've transferred the ones I didn't finish from last year to this year's list.
3. Keep quilting - quilt at least another 20 tops on my HQ Avante - let's see if I can get back into the swing of things to get more tops done! Nope, didn't get back into the swing of it. I quilted 10 tops this year.
4. Keep stitching - I'd like to make more ornaments this year and have them ready to go on my tree or be gifted next Christmas. Jackpot! I kept up with the stitch-along group that I signed up with and stitched 12 ornaments this year, plus finished up the year stitching 3 more. I have about half of them in full finished state and three of them hung on our tree this year. I did pick up a tote at The Container Store to keep all my stitched ornaments in, so I have motivation to keep stitching ornaments! I will honestly have a hard time giving any of them away, but I did tell the kids they could pick one each and when they grow up, they will get to keep that one for their tree.
5. Finish some crochet projects - I'd like to get at least 3-5 crochet projects done this year to have something to show for my new skills. Done - I finished 4 projects this year - the Pokemon hat, my Mantella cape (yikes, just realized I haven't taken a picture of this one), a headband, a cowl, and a hat.
1. Get moving on house work - our house needs a lot of work these days...new roof, paint, updated kitchen and bathroom, etc. and I am bad at taking the time to make the calls to get quotes and then get the work done. I resolve to be better at this so that we can get some improvements made. Done - I worked through a bathroom remodel, and got the contract signed for our roof replacement, which will happen next spring when the weather warms up. Still lots to go on this one...
2. Start swimming again - I was on the swim team as a kid and loved my time in the pool and used it as a good way to keep fit in college. I haven't swum for many years now, but a new Y opened near work and they have a lap pool. I have a new suit and goggles on the way, so I'd like to use them! Done! I swam a lot this year - sometimes a couple times a week and sometimes only every few weeks, but I love getting into the pool (especially when it isn't crowded!). I did find myself looking for some variety at the end of the year and went back to the regular stuff at the gym and a yoga class.
So, that's the recap. All in all, I think it was a good year. Now, for some photographic evidence!
2016 Stitching - 15 oraments, 6 other projects. 7 of them are fully finished now.
2016 Quilting/Sewing - 9 fully finished quilts, 7 quilt tops, 1 infinity scarf, 16 bags from small to large, 1 apron, 1 pillow, 1 tool caddy, and 1 new ironing station - what a great year!
I hope you found 2016 to be a fulfilling year and made good progress on your own resolutions. I'll be back over the weekend to share with you my goals and plans for 2017!