New Recipes from August 2016

We were able to fit in a few new recipes last month, and also enjoyed revisiting some that we tried earlier in our cooking challenge. 

We started the month with Chicken and Black Beans from Mr. Food, which I don't find on his website, but is in his Easy Tex-Mex cookbook. We often eat Sausage, Beans, and Rice, and this was very similar in taste but with a different meat. It needs a little more oomph - next time we will try adding a few spices to it. 
Next up was an ambitious girl who decided she wanted homemade Strawberry Shortcake, so she made it! She pulled the recipe from my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook and we took it to my parent's to share with them. It was delicious! She is becoming quite the little baker (and I love that!). 
Enchiladas Cancun was the next new recipe, from a Sargento recipe collection that I added to my recipe folder at some time in the distant past! It was quite good, but we tend to like our enchiladas with corn tortillas, so we will try it with them next time. 
Next up was a recipe that I pulled from Cooking Light way back in June 2012 for a Summer Veggie Rice Bowl. August was the perfect time of year to make this! I loved the dish and the leftovers. Everyone else in the family was lukewarm on it, but none of them are fans of zucchini (unless it is in bread with chocolate chips!). The week we made this, the grocery store was out of pine nuts, so we substituted almonds, which worked quite well. I look forward to making it next summer with pine nuts! 
Last up was the last of the crock pot meals from my neighbor. This one is called Beef Stroganoff, but it wasn't like stroganoff that we've had before. It was more like a chili. We all really liked it, so I will buy the ingredients for this one again. 
Hope you enjoyed seeing the new recipes - I just made the menu plan for this week and we have another new one on the menu. 

Comments

Carol said…
Looks like you had a great variety of dishes last month, Jennifer! And how wonderful that your daughter is taking an interest in baking :) So tasty looking--I'm sure it was wonderful!