May 2016 Cooking

As time has gone on, it has gotten to be more of a challenge to find new recipes to cook, and we're also trying to go back and make some of the things we enjoyed the first time around! It is funny when we have something we had before (I know because I mark all the cookbook recipes we've made and have a separate folder for recipes we've made vs. haven't made) because we often don't remember how we felt about it the first time around!  

We tried a few new great recipes in May: 

From our Fix-it and Enjoy-it Cookbook, we tried Asian beef and noodles. This is made with ground beef and is a nice alternative to tacos or hamburgers. It was also a quick meal for a weeknight. If you are looking for one cookbook to add to your collection that has a wide variety of foods, most of which are fairly easy to cook, I highly recommend this cookbook. We've enjoyed a lot of recipes from it!   

Next up was another of the crock pot meals left by my neighbor - this one is Sweet and Sour Beef. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this because I don't like sweet and sour dishes when we get Chinese food. I was pleasantly surprised by this one and enjoyed it. It was a little heavy on the pineapple, but the overall taste was good.

Our favorite meal in May was El Paso Enchiladas from Mr. Food. We devoured this pan of enchiladas and will definitely make this one again!  It was great to have all the chicken cooked and shredded ahead of time for this meal. 

The final new recipe for May was Pineapple Sheet Cake, which I made when I hosted my bunco group.  It was tasty, but we never finished the whole pan. I am pretty much the only one in our house who likes pineapple. I might make this again, but would more likely go back to some of the other desserts we've made.  One thing I can say for this recipe is that it was super easy to make. It came from my Mary Englebreit Fan Fare cookbook. I will have to try a few more recipes from this cookbook - what we've made to date has been okay, but not great. 
Hope you enjoyed reading about our new recipes - do you have any favorites we should try? 

Comments

Carol said…
I always enjoy your monthly cooking updates, Jennifer... I can't believe you are the only one who enjoys pineapple! That is like me being the only one in my family who likes coconut :)

The El Paso enchiladas look very tasty. For a change you might want to try this enchilada recipe from the blog of Lizzie Kate's daughter. It is one of our favorites. http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/best-chicken-enchiladas-ever/ I also make her homemade enchilada sauce to use with it. I also make these turkey meatballs and freeze them--very handy for spaghetti, casseroles, meatball sandwiches :) http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-meatballs-33944

Happy eating!