February 2016 Recipes

We tried a few new recipes in February, including our first recipe from the videos that go across Facebook seemingly all day now (mostly thanks to my mom!). It was a pretty well balanced month, with online, cookbook, and magazine recipes. 

Mongolian Beef, the recipe from Facebook, was a little hard in the prep stages, as I had to substitute a cube steak this time of year. This was an easy one to prep and it smelled great as it cooked. It tasted delicious and the whole family liked it, so we will be putting this into our normal rotation. Just fair warning though - it made a lot! If you're cooking for a smaller group, you might cut the recipe in half. 

Blueberry Pound Cake from Cooking Light was made for my bee. It turned out beautifully and we enjoyed every last piece! The kids really loved it (and were very happy my bee friends didn't eat all of it!). 
Spaghetti with Bartolino's Meatballs from Midwest Living was paired with a pasta sauce, which we haven't made yet. The meatballs were good, but not any better than the ones I pick up in the freezer section at Traders Joe's, so we will probably let this one go. 
I dug a little deeper into on of our cookbooks early in the month and found several more recipes to try from the Fix it and Enjoy it Cookbook:

Shrimp with Ginger and Lime - this was a great fast and easy recipe that was made while the rice cooked in my favorite new appliance, the Rice Cooker. It was a solid meal and we will probably repeat when we need an easy meal on a busy night. 
Poppy Seed Chicken - this is the second poppy seed chicken we've made. The first on was baked strips breaded in poppy seed, and this one was a "fill the dish with chicken and sauce, then cover with poppy seed topping." We liked this one just as much as the last one and it is a good way to use up the jar of poppy seeds I bought! 
Hot Cheese Dip - I also made this for my bee and it was really good. It is  made from a base of mayonnaise, and I wasn't sure how I'd like that, but it tasted great and was a big hit with the bee and also with my husband when he arrived home that afternoon! 

It was a great month of new recipes!  I won't have any to share for March - between a trip to Mexico for work, a trip to Illinois for quilting, and a trip to DC for spring break, we are focused on easy meals this month, which means going back to things we've made many times before. Hope you have a great month of dinners and let me know if you try any new recipes! 



Comments

Carol said…
I always look forward to your recipe posts, Jennifer! These are all ones I would consider making (except for the shrimp dish which I am allergic to :)

Your family must love having new things to try each month!