Quilt #4 2015 - Barbara's batik swirly stars

Ok, one more quilting post to bring me current on this facet of my blog.  The next quilt is another one from a bee friend - she gave me two to quilt a while back and this was the first one where inspiration struck (I am still waiting on inspiration for the next one...). 

On Instagram, I have seen several quilts done with the same design all the way across, row after row. It isn't a panto, but just a small freehand design (at least I assume it is freehand, I guess some of them are probably computer aided).  I have been thinking about this for a while because I love the texture it gives a quilt. This became the quilt to try it on! 

It took me a few passes to figure out that I could use the piecing as a guide for the size of my figure eights. The quilt is based on 2 1/2" strips, so I decided about 5 passes into the quilt that I should really use that as my guide (if you look closely, you'll see that one end of the quilt isn't quite that uniform). 


While I was in the midst of quilting this one, I posted a picture to Instagram saying that this was going into the category of "if sounded like a good idea at the time" because it takes a while (I am used to a pass being 10-12" of a quilt top, not 2 1/2") and it gets kinda boring.  The good news is that I had a fantastic thread combo and no issues with thread breaks - that makes the whole process go a lot better!  I used So Fine in the top and Bottom Line in the bobbin - they seem to play very well together.  The batting in this one was Warm and White, my standby. 

Once I pulled it off the frame and laid it out, I loved it, so I am sure I will use this design again! 

The frame has been empty since I pulled this off Mother's Day weekend, but it will have another quilt loaded soon, as Jenna and I are making a quilt as a teacher gift.  I should have some pictures to share of that one this weekend! 

Comments