Quilt #16 - Loralei's Blue and Grey Batik

A few months ago, Loralei gave me a couple tops to quilt with no deadline (those are the kinds I like!).  Once retreat was finished, I thought it would be a good idea to start working through hers and the others that I have been given to quilt.  
The whole quilt
When I looked at Loralei's quilt, I saw a good opportunity to do some custom quilting.  I looked through my Angela Walters books and was inspired by a quilt she shows where she had a consistent (simple) pattern in the sashing, and then different quilting in each block.  I decided that would be a good chance to see how much I could easily do.  
Paisley in the border, intersecting wavy lines in the border, and a couple of the custom patterns in the blocks
When I started on the blocks, I thought I might repeat a smaller number of patterns in each row, but then decided to branch out a little more and quilt a unique pattern in each of the 20 blocks (remember last time I tried something like this?).  I took a few minutes to plot everything out before I got going, so I knew which 20 designs I would use.  Most were familiar to me, but a few were new ones that I wanted to try. 
Straight line meandering
I had a lot of issues with thread breakage on this quilt, in addition to tons of starts and stops, which made it a little frustrating, but I managed to get through it, even turning the quilt to get my wavy lines done in one pass on the sashing.  I used light blue Permacore on the top and silver Bottom Line in the bobbin, and she supplied one of my favorite battings  - Tuscany Wool.  Even with the thread issues I had, I really loved how the thread just glides through that batting and leaves a really nice texture behind. 
Back and forth with wavy lines in the sashing
An intersection in the sashing with different quilt patterns in each of the blocks. 
In the end, I am really pleased with how it turned out and hope that Loralei likes it just as well! 
A little unrelated to the technical aspects of the quilting, I pulled out the pattern port that my dad made me when I had my first machine, and found it to be incredibly useful.  You can see I had it stacked with the books I was using for reference, painter's tape to mark the starts and stops, the seam ripper (which was used quite a bit on this one), and my list of patterns to quilt.  My dad made mine for me for about $25 with plexiglass, window curtain rods, and velcro from the local hardware store. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh Jen, it is beautiful!!! Thank you for your talent and creative abilities to make my piecing look awesome. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!