September Cooking

During the  month of September,I pulled out several recipes that looked good and I thought we made quite a few of them, but when I went to pull the "used" file yesterday, I found only two new ones!  We did revisit some that we've made in the last year and made them again, so it wasn't a totally boring month.  My tomatoes finally started ripening, so I pulled out the recipe I'd specifically held for that season and it made a delicious lunch salad.  I was surprised that the kids even ate this one since it was full of spinach.  I guess the yummy dressing was enough to make it palatable. They also discovered that they both like artichoke hearts (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree on this - my mom and I both love them!). Artichoke and Pasta Salad is another winner from Cooking Light, and I will definitely make it again on a warm summer day. 



The second recipe is Chicken, Spinach, and Noodle Casserole from Real Simple. The dish turned out well and I swear we got a picture, but it is missing. My only gripe with this dish was the "One dish dinner" headline.  While it baked in one dish, there were about four others involved in the preparation, so there was a lot of dishwashing to do in the end! We had our neighbor's son staying with us for the weekend and he gobbled it down. Our own kids balked a little and wound up with buttered noodles instead of the casserole, but that's fine, because it was easy to cook a few more noodles and leave them on the side. 

We will be back at it in October, and I have a goal to dig through the dessert recipe file a little more - that one hasn't had nearly enough attention this year! 

Comments