August Cooking Challenge

We took the month of July off from our cooking challenge - not intentionally, but with vacations and summer schedules it just didn't happen. We were back at it in August and I got back into the swing of menu planning.  We made several entrees, a side dish, a dip, and a dessert.  It was an okay month - some good recipes, some just okay, but it felt good to be trying some new things again. 

The first recipe of the month was Sauteed Chicken with Capers - now, you either like capers or you don't in my experience - and I love them! This was an easy and very tasty dinner. This was another in a long line of winners from the old Everyday Food magazine. 


Next up was an old recipe from Cooking Light magazine, and it was pretty tasty too.  Smoky Cowboy Quesadillas were a nice twist on the usual with ham, salsa, and fresh corn. Mike made these with a little less salsa for the kids and they were a big hit, especially with Jack. 


Back to Everyday Food for the next one, Cilantro Buttermilk Skirt Steak. Delicious dinner, executed expertly. This will go into our rotation and next time I see a skirt steak on sale, I will know what to do with it! 


We switched back to chicken for the next recipe, but stuck with the same magazine - and had Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry. It was okay - not bad, but not terribly flavorful.  We didn't have oyster sauce, which might be the secret ingredient, so I think I will pick some up and we'll try it again to see if that does the trick.  


Next up was a recipe from Rachael Ray's magazine and I forgot to take a picture of the Corn Bacon muffins.  I cooked the bacon ahead, but we warmed it up and followed the recipe as written and it just didn't do much for us.  This is one we won't be making again - there are lots of other rolls or muffins that I would use before I went back to this one. 

I hosted my quilt bee at the end of the month, and I usually try to find something yummy to make them.  This time was no exception. I made a Dill, Feta, and Garlic Cream Cheese Spread that was delicious and also made Citrus Doodles, which were a tangy, delicious cookie. I don't usually like cookies with a glaze, but this glaze, which has lemon and orange zest in it, was delicious! 


We wrapped up the month by making Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas. They were a great finger food and the bowl disappeared into my daughter's room before I could get a picture.  We will definitely make these again when we are having friends over or need a small dish to bring along to a party. 

I also had to share another of the yummiest dishes we had this month - it was a peanut butter ice cream pie from our favorite custard stand that Mike got to celebrate my birthday.  Mmmmmm! 

Comments

Carol said…
Hi Jennifer! Just wanted to stop in and thank you for your sweet comments on my blog this week. I'm so glad you enjoyed my finishes and I look forward to seeing what you finish off. Your meals and your quilting projects are amazing! Always wanted to learn how to quilt--just don't seem to have the time these days. Maybe when I retire!