Over the past several months, I have been following the story of friends of mine who have been working through an international adoption. They chose to adopt a baby boy with Down's Syndrome and after many months, they were finally able to bring him home this spring. I have made blankets for all of their other kids, but in the interest of using fabric I already have, I decided to make the new arrival a quilt.
This is a top that I've had in my stash for quite a while - I bought a little coordinating fabric when I purchased the panel, and then I was thrilled to find a green in my stash that matches for the binding.
I used a plaid orange for the back and supplemented it with a strip of yellow flannel for a little texture.
For the quilting, I did a simple stipple all over the top and used a Signature Trilobal Polyester in the top thread (orange variegated) and Bottom Line in the bobbin. I did have a little trouble getting the tension perfect, but it worked out okay in the end. The batting was a scrap of warm and natural. It is always nice to use up those scraps!