Hooray for Work Day!

Today I celebrated my return to an 80% work schedule by attending my bee's work day. We get together once a month at a local community room and bring our machines, our projects, and our opinions.  It is always a great place to ask for help, get ideas, or do those tasks you really don't enjoy doing alone in your sewing room. For me, the task I really hate doing is cutting out a quilt. I don't mind cutting out something small, but the bigger ones are so tedious when I am all by myself. 

I had gotten just about as far as I could on my Stained Glass Log Cabin blocks and needed to cut the final two sets of black strips and the final set of colored strips. I did a little sewing when I arrived, then trimmed the blocks for the first cut, then started cutting...and cutting, and cutting. Boy, I love the look of Log Cabins, but there are a boatload of pieces! 
Blocks waiting for first trim on left, done with first trim on the right. 
I am glad to say that I finished my cutting in time to get in another 1/2 hour of sewing, so the final round of pieces are in progress. I have 100 sets to make, 3 pieces each, and then I attach them to the partial blocks. 
Finished blocks (21 done, 25 to go)
I am sure looking forward to having this top finished - I love all the bright colors and I've already picked out the perfect back for it - black with bright floral from Lois' stash. It is a piece I have pulled out several times for other quilts, but it has never quite worked. I am glad that it didn't before, because I think it will go great with this quilt. 

On the way home, after a stop at the grocery store to stock up for the week, I stopped by Quilt Quarters, a local shop who is celebrating their anniversary. As part of their celebration, they had all books 25% off. I was looking for one specific book as I walked in and they didn't have that, but I did find a few others that look fun.  And, hey, I was supporting a small business in the process :) 
New books
Hope you had a great Monday! 


Comments

LOVE LOVE LOVE those quilt blocks! And great book buys, too! :)