2013 - Year in Review

I always enjoy taking a few minutes at the start of the year to reflect on what I've done in the past year, especially when it comes to my quilting.  I had some quiet time last week and decided to make a quick list for myself of all the finished tops, bags, quilts, and other fabric items.  At the end of it, I am really glad to have finished so much, even though I spent much of the year thinking I wasn't doing much quilting (and the numbers don't lie - I didn't do nearly as much as in past years).  At the end of the year as I reflect back, I am okay with less quilting time.  I did a lot more stitching than I've done in recent years, in part due to stitching and tv nights with my neighbor (thanks Beth!), and I did a lot more reading than I've done for several years, so I think I had a good balance overall. 

Here's the year by the numbers: 
Bags made = 8, 6 of them gifted to others
Quilt tops put together = 10
Quilts finished (either start to finish in 2013 or UFOs from prior years) = 12, 2 of which include UFOs of Lois', 3 of which were gifts
Other fabric items = 11, 10 of which were made for or gifted to others
Quilts quilted on my HQ Avante = 23, only three of which remain in this house 

It was a great year, and here's how I did on the goals I set out in early 2013: 
Quilting goals: 
1. Quilt at least 20 items on my HQ Avante - done at 23
2. Finish at least 5 of my current UFOs, plus the two quilts (Easy Street and Rolling Stones) that are in progress now. Almost done: Finished Amy Butler shirt, Jelly Roll Challenge quilt, Rolling Stones mini, Red and White Snowball quilt, and Christmas Disappearing 4-Patch. I got my Easy Street top finished but have yet to make the back or quilt it.  
3. Continue with the things I have done for the last few years - stashbusting, tracking time sewing, and making a donation/charity quilt with leader/enders. Done! I donated two quilts to the ALS Challenge this year, and made two comfort quilts for coworkers dealing with medical challenges. 
4. Make 3 projects (can be quilts, purses, or other items) from existing patterns or books. Done - I made a purse from a magazine, wonder wallets (I've had this pattern for years, but this was the first time I made one), and a tagalong purse.  
5. Start on 2 kits. Done - I did three kits this year - the Christmas mini, the Christmas Disappearing 9-Patch, and the Pumpkin table runner. 
6. Balance time between piecing, quilting, and stitching. I think I did a pretty good job at this. 

Personal goals: 
1. Read all the books that are in my room right now - I have done really well and finished 8 of 11 in 2013. I also refrained from checking out library books or downloading books almost the entire year. 
2. Make it the year of using my cookbooks - choose a cookbook each month and make at least one recipe from it (bonus points for making multiple recipes). If I can't find one recipe to make in a month's time, get rid of the book! This was a rip-roaring success! The whole family got involved in this and we have really enjoyed trying lots of new recipes and rating how much we like them. We will continue to experiment with our menus. 
3. Go through keepsakes on the bottom shelf of my stitching storage area and get rid of those things I no longer need so that I have some room to move other items there and clear the floor under my sewing area. I did okay on this one but not great.  I did go through most of the keepsakes, but didn't find too many that I was willing to part with, so I didn't really make any more space under my sewing area...I will have to revisit the boxes again in a few years. 
4. Redecorate my dining room (with assistance). I didn't even start on this one...it is still a priority, as are several other things in our house which seems to be aging quickly. 

I will be back in the next week or so with my goals for 2014.  I have a few settled, but I am still noodling on the full list. I hope you've enjoyed this little recap of my year. 

Comments

Moneik said…
Great job on meeting your goals. I am thinking about trying the cookbook challenge. We need to add some variety to our menu and help the kids to start eating with us.
Great job on everything! I need to get to the cook books I have, but it's so hard to cook a meal for just me. I was pleased when I was grilling chicken parts a couple of months ago. lol

You got a lot of your goals done so congrats!!!