While she was here, we had a discussion about ideas for quilting it and a few days later, my mom told me that she really liked my idea and wanted me to quilt it.
I decided not to quilt through the photos at all since they were the feature of the quilt. I did wavy lines in the blue sections and was a little stumped on what to do in the border. I looked and looked for a panto or shell stencil that would work, but they were either too big or too detailed. After thumbing through all my quilting books (ok, all 5 of them), I found this pattern called mussel shell, in Linda Taylor's machine quilting book. I'd done this pattern before but in an all-over method. I limited it to just one "shell" wide and ran it all around the border.
The quilt was batik borders and a batik back, and I didn't know how it would do, but it turned out okay. The top thread was signature poly, which gave me quite a few fits. I changed to a new needle, then to a bigger needle, and had to go pretty slow for it to play the game without shredding. I used a silver bottom line on the back and boy, how I love that for a bobbin thread!
|Quilt back showing wavy lines|