2016 APQ UFO Challenge List

Monday, September 23, 2013

Quilting a UFO

One of the goals I posted for this month was to pull out and make progress on a UFO. When I wrote the goal, I had a quilt in mind that needs another 6-12 blocks. Once I finished quilting the graduation quilt for my mom, I realized that I probably had far more UFOs to quilt than to piece, so I pulled out this one, my disappearing four patch (D4P).

I pieced this during my retreat in March. It is one of three Christmas quilts that I have to quilt, so I will be glad to have it finished by the holidays. I quilted it with a holly and poinsettia echo panto, which I haven't used in a long time. I had forgotten how easy it was and how nice it looks. I used Magnifico thread for the top and bottom line in the bobbin. This is the second time I've used the Magnifico and I am really pleased with how it quilts and the visual appearance on the quilt. I think I will be buying more next time I visit a show and find it on sale!


For the back of this quilt, I used a piece of fossil fern from Lois' big collection of fossil fern, then I added four Christmas themed fat quarters on the side to make it wide enough. I think I am finally figuring out a good use for some of those novelty fat quarters I bought as an early quilter!


I will be binding this at my October retreat - there is a new double color technique that I would like to try. For now, I am happy to have 2 off the racks so far this month :)

4 comments:

Kate said...

Very pretty. Congrats on getting all the quilting done.

Regina said...

great idea on the backing!!

Ruthie said...

Very nice! I like that panto too!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Fantastic! CAn't wait to see the binding technique next week. :)