May Cookbook Challenge

Caution: Don't read this blog post while hungry. It is filled with pictures of really yummy dishes we tried in May! [yikes - just realized that I never published this post...even though I wrote it almost two weeks ago]

Mmmmm, our cookbook this month (available here on Amazon) was great! It is one that I won a few years ago as a bunco prize in my regular group and it always looked good. However, like most of my cookbooks, I don't think I've ever made a recipe from it. Time to change that! 
Turn head to left to see cookbook cover :-)
I hosted bunco this month, so made a few dishes from the cookbook to share: 
1) Dilly Crab Dip - boy was this tasty! (sorry, no picture of this one, but it looked like your pretty typical dip except that it had crabmeat on top and lots of dill in it). 

2) Peanut Butter Pie - this was lick-your-fingers, think-about-it-when-you're-falling-asleep good! I think it rivals the peanut butter pie in Waynestown, OH near The Fabric Shack! 



For regular dinners around here, Mike and I also made: 
3) Flavorful Beef Stroganoff - the kids wouldn't touch this because I loaded it with mushrooms, but all the adults in the house really liked it. It has cinnamon in the recipe so had a little bit of a sweet note in the sauce. 




4) Pizza Cups - these are similar to a recipe we made earlier in the year and we liked these even better! I made them again to take to a co-worker's family when she was recovering from surgery. 




5) Lemon Chicken - when I poured the tablespoon of dried oregano across the top of these, I thought that it was questionable, but to the contrary, it was delicious and was a homerun - everybody in the house liked it enough to go back for seconds. 




6) Bruschetta Chicken Bake - I liked this alternative for a chicken casserole and enjoyed this chicken dish topped with stuffing. In the end, it was a little dry, so I would make it again but I'd add some chicken broth while it was baking. 




7) Quick Shrimp Pasta - this was a great weeknight meal! Mike and I both like zucchini, but not cooked, so I was a little apprehensive about that part of the recipe. It turned out great - the zucchini was still crunchy and even the kids ate their "no thank you" bite without making faces! We usually have pasta a lot in the winter but not in the summer, but I think this will go into our summer rotation. 




8) Mexican Chicken Bake - this was our last recipe for the month and was delicious - it tasted like a naked burrito from Qdoba or Chipotle, which are two of my favorite fast food places! Now I just need to figure out how to make tomatillo salsa! 




We had two cookouts over Memorial Day weekend, so we made these dishes to share: 
9) Easy Fudge - Mike made this (and ate most of it too!) - it was a quick cooking, yummy dish to set on the table, and we didn't mind bringing home a few leftovers either! 



10) Southwestern Pesto Pasta - this pesto is made with cilantro instead of basil and it was yummy - a great alternative to the typical pasta salad at a summer cookout, garnished with feta cheese




11) And the piece de resistance - Coconut Cake - this was heavenly! I had to buy a spring-form pan for this one and I am so glad that I did because I will definitely be making it again!  I was a little concerned when making the cake that it would be dry since there was no glaze or icing, but it was one of the moistest cakes I've ever had. We loved it and we even fought a little over the last piece (I won!). 




We set a new record with 11 recipes in one month (ok, truth be told, I cheated and made the last dish on the 1st of June, but I bought all the ingredients in the right month)! There are dozens more from this cookbook I would try, so it will stay near the front of the cabinet in the months to come!  Coming up in June - a Racheal Ray book that advertises 30 minute meals - I will be cooking with the timer going! 

Comments

Omg all of those look good!!! You might have to share the PB pie recipe... I could do a side by side taste test to be sure!!!