Snowmen for Susan

Last weekend, my mom brought me a rush job (and by job, I mean quilting for the joy of it and in exchange for childcare!). It is the project she started at retreat - an appliqué snowman quilt for my sister in law.



She wanted a custom quilt job, meaning different thing in each border and the blocks - yikes! I am least confident with this type of request, far preferring pantos or all over designs, but I also know that this is what I need to do to stretch myself. I was able to visualize what I wanted to do on all but the outermost border....which is where I needed to start.

I finally flipped through my Leah Day book and decided to go with the Trailing spirals design. I started at the top and worked my way down until I got to the top set of blocks, then started on them. I put on my micro handles and really enjoyed the control they gave me, not just within the blocks, but across all the borders. I wound up using them for the rest of the quilt.



I was fairly pleased with it by the end and really happy that I didn't have any tucks (I rolled back and forth a lot!). I got it back to my mom on Monday morning and she was able to bind it and take it with her this week and give it to Susan, who says she is going to hang it up all year!

Next up on the machine is the first of the charity quilts - I am hoping to get it finished this weekend - fingers crossed.

Comments

The quilting looks awesome! I guess that I need to think about Leah Day's book. :)