Clamshells become Raindrops

I just finished the latest quilt on my HQ16. This one really had me psyched out because I was doing not one, but two new things. I did ruler work in the center, and a panto around the borders, which included turning the quilt 90 degrees. I was really worried about that, because last time I did that, I put a tuck into the back, but that quilt was for charity, and this quilt is for a friend (her quilt, I am quilting it for her to build my skills).

I got it on the frame about 3 weeks ago, I think. I easily did the panto across the top border, then I started on the clamshells with the ruler. I was having lots of fun when I realized that the quilt was actually directional, and I was doing the clamshells upside-down! Yikes....that's when they became raindrops!


At the bottom, I did the 2nd line of panto work, and then it sat....waiting.


My dad is in the process of making me a pattern port so I can follow a panto (or any other pattern) down the quilt without having to 1) stitch from the back, and 2) turn the quilt. He hasn't gotten it done yet, and I decided over the weekend to turn the quilt. I was really apprehensive after I turned it because the remaining borders looked pretty wavy, and I was pretty sure I would wind up with a tuck. I finally got up the courage tonight and had really good luck! Once I took the time to load it well and pin and baste the edges, it laid much better and I was able to finish it in about an hour!

I hope Suzie likes it!


Extra details...I used Lava from Superior on the top - love this thread! - and Brytes in the bobbin. The panto is called Rose and Leaf, which I got from Jill when I went to the retreat in April (thanks Jill!), here's a close up of it on my table.

Comments

Looks great!! I know what you mean about feeling the apprehension about turning the quilts on the frame! I think this is why I waited so long to do the Milky Way quilt. But the results are fantastic! You did great!!
Looks great!! I know what you mean about feeling the apprehension about turning the quilts on the frame! I think this is why I waited so long to do the Milky Way quilt. But the results are fantastic! You did great!!
Linda said…
Really beautiful!