Playing with our "new" toys

I had a chance this afternoon to set up the remainder of the HQ16, so it was ready to go tonight. While both kids napped, my mom and I watched the instructional video, then I attempted to load a panel tonight and realized that I didn't remember a thing from watching the video 4 hours earlier! It took a while, but I eventually got the machine threaded, needle changed, quilt loaded, and got down to business. Wow, can I just say huge learning curve? I thought that it seemed really easy when I tested the machine (and felt the same when testing others on muslin), but on an actual panel, it is much, much harder! So, lots and lots of practice is in my future....and a lot more panels!

Here's a picture of my "new" toy.


And here's a close up part of the panel that I worked on tonight...it is a little under halfway complete. You can see I have lots of room to improve! If the panel looks familiar, that is because this is the second one I've done. The first was when I was testing my new free motion quilting skills.

Finally, although I don't have a picture to post, I must comment on the fun that Jenna has been having for the last 24 hours too. In my work to clean out a part of our basement storage room last night, she discovered the strawberry case which housed all my childhood Strawberry Shortcake dolls. They were much loved by me, and I saved them for the hope of passing them on to a daughter someday. It turns out that someday was yesterday. Jenna has played with them just about non-stop since then and it is so neat to see her having such a good time. I will try to capture a picture of that tomorrow, as I am sure the first question out of her mouth in the morning will be "Mommy, can I play with your Strawberry Shortcake dolls today?"
Ah, the joy of new toys!

Comments

swooze said…
How is your practice going? My friend Beth has the same setup. I am sure she wouldn't mind helping you with questions. http://mdquilter73.blogspot.com