July 2026 - Five States and lots of shopping!

The month of July found me with a few great days of sewing and stitching and trips that took me through five states, it was a fun one! The month started with a few days remaining on my week off, so I got to task and finished the purse I've been working on for a while. I enjoyed making this one and learned a new way to insert zippers. I was very happy to find a video to help me interpret the instructions. I love this fun fabric and am happy to say this one is at the state fair for judging right now. 

Central Park Sling Bag

I also started several projects from a stitching challenge that my mom and I hosted on Instagram. We called it United We Stitch (#unitedwestitch) and encouraged everyone to stitch along on projects that make them feel patriotic. It was fun to see all the different projects people selected. I queued up several projects to work on over the month and enjoyed starting several of them. 
United We Stitch projects kitted and ready for a start

I was able to finish three of my projects from the challenge - I purposely picked several smaller projects so they could be wrapped up quickly. At the end of the month, I still had 3 in progress, one of which is quite big and will be a long-term project. 

Grandma Millie's Basket from the 2024 Needlework Marketplace Cookbook. 
I stitched this on an old fabric in my stash and eyeballed the center - as you can see, it is just slightly to the left so I think I will put 1776 - 2026 in the right side to balance it a bit
This one didn't have a name, it's the pattern from Under the Garden Moon in the 2026 Nashville Needlework Market cookbook. I stitched it on a scrap of 28 ct. Summer Sky Jobelan with the called for DMC threads. I think it will make a nice pillow. It's showing much darker in the photo - it is a medium and medium-dark blue bird. 

Might-TEA Fobulous by Silver Creek Samplers - this was a kit with Aida (I think 16 ct) and thread and even the charm that hangs from the fob. I will get this FFO'ed soon-ish so I can attach it to some scissors

On the FFO front, I finished on that's been a long time coming. I laced and framed this myself with a frame that I bought at Michael's during one of their 70% off sales. I am really pleased with the result of this one and can't wait to display it. 
Lizzie Kate Greenies Flip-it's, stitched on 32 ct. Meadow Rue by Lakeside Linen (quite possibly my favorite linen of all time!) with mostly the called for threads - I made a few small substitutions. 

I also had a great time on a shop hop trip with my mom and our friend Paula that took us to Illinois, Missouri and Iowa. We visited 6 quilt shops and 2 stitching shops and boy was it fun! I made a purchase at all but one shop. Here are a few pictures from the trip and my purchases. 
Purchases from Colour and Cotton in St. Louis, MO - they dye fabric and threads and have an awesome stitching shop with all kinds of patterns, threads and charts - and lots of great samples too. 

Purchases from Be Stitch Me in Moline, IL - she also dyes her own fabric and thread, mostly silks, but she will be moving into cotton soon. So many amazing color fabrics! 

Purchases from Jackman's in St. Louis, MO - a couple FQs and a cuddle quilt backing

I kind of went crazy at The Little Red Hen in Mustcatine, IA - what an amazing shop with quilting, wool applique, embroidery, and cross-stitch. I got a quilt kit, some mini charms, a wool kit and a few packs of needles. 

Purchases from O'Sew Personal in Collinsville, IL (pattern on the left) and Hickory Stick Quilt Shop in Hannibal, MO - while both had lots of beautiful things, I restrained myself to a couple patterns. 

Lovely gifts from friends we met along the way - a project bag from Corynne, pins from Vickie, and threads from Cathy

The thread wall at BeStitchMe - and below in the bins is fabric, lots and lots of fabric

The quilting barn at The Little Red Hen

Me, Mom and Paula at The Little Red Hen
About to walk into Colour & Cotton
The amazing color wall at Colour & Cotton

O'Sew Personal in Collierville, IL

In addition to all that shopping, Liz from Elizabeth Ann Can Stitch also sent me a quilt kit that she bought years ago but has decided she isn't going to make. I just love this one and can't wait to make it! 
Ombre Picnic quilt kit and pattern from Liz

You can guess what all that did to my stash report....completely busted it! But that's okay, it was really fun and will keep my busy for quite a while. 

The month ended with me doing a little bit of sewing, stitching along on a few more patriotic pieces, and delivering 13 projects to the State Fair. All in all, it was a great July! 

Here are the July reports: 

Stitching time with Kate at Life in Pieces - 29/31 days with some crafting = 94%

Stash Reporting with Donna at quiltpaintcreate
Fabric added this month: 19 yards (yikes!!)
Fabric used this month: 1/2 yard
Fabric added year to date: 20 yards
Fabric used year to date: 2 3/8 yards
Net fabric used: -17 5/8 yards - solidly in the red. I will try to work my way out of the deficit through the rest of the year! 

Project Completion tracking: 
Stitching finishes: +3 stitching finishes, -1 FFO = 42 projects waiting to be FFO'ed
Quilting projects: no new starts, -1 finishes (the purse) = 9 projects waiting to be fully finished

How was your July? Hope you found a chance to get some crafting in during the heat of summer. I'll be busy for the next few weeks playing with all my new things - see you again at the end of August to show you what I've done with them. 

Comments

What an amazing July you had, Jennifer! Your shop hop looked like a lot of fun.
Kate said…
You definitely had a very fun shop hop. Looks like you hit some amazing shops along the way. Congrats on all the project progress in July. Your FFO turned out beautifully. Happy stitching this month and stay cool!