June 2024 - Lots of travel and some WIP stitching

June was another busy month - I started the month in Illinois at the quilt retreat that I shared in my last post, then was home for a weekend before I went to Cincinnati for Quilt-Con, back to Cincinnati to see Niall Horan with my daughter, and up to Michigan to visit one of my friends. As I type this post, laundry is running so that I can finish packing to leave on our family vacation. While it seems all time goes quickly these days, June sure was a quick month! 

I have one finish to share with you today and it's a great one (said she modestly). I decided last month to make a quilt for my son's girlfriend for her graduation gift. He worked with me to select a pattern, approved fabric choices, helped decide how to piece the back, what thread color to use in the quilting and the fabric for the binding. I really enjoyed the process by having him support it along the way. I finished the quilt on Thursday night before her grad party on Saturday. My son said the quilt was a big hit and she loves it! 


Over and Across Quilt Top, pattern by Kim Schaeffer
from the book Cozy Modern Quilts


With my son :) 

The quilt back - fabric on the left was used in her baby room,
so it's a little bit sentimental

Outside of the quilt, which was the priority for the month, I had a great time attending my first Stitch-Con, a large cross-stitch retreat put on by Keepsakes, a local shop in Cincinnati. I had a great table of stitchers and met so many lovely people there. If you want to hear all about it, check out my latest flosstube video (the Stitch-Con part is at the end). Here are a few pictures from the weekend, including an update on my Lizzie Kate Greenies piece, which is now just about halfway complete. 

My table 40 mates

Lizzie Kate Greenies progress

Selfie with the Keepsakes sign

One side of the shopping annex at the retreat - 
there were 47 trunk shows! 

The Stitchy bus takes retreat-goers back and forth
between the store and convention center.

I did fairly well with purchases, visiting Keepsakes and Stitches, a nearby quilt shop. I purchased some wool, finishing materials, and a few pieces of fabric to make a project bag. All in all, it was a great weekend!

Here are a few other highlight pics from the month - I don't have any stitching finishes or FFOs to share, but hope to have a few at the end of July. 

Attending a night of the US Olympic Swim trials in our local stadium

Chimpanzees out for a walk at the zoo

Waiting for the Niall Horan concert

Adventures with friends on the Leelanau Peninsula in Michigan

Here are the stats for the month: 

Stitching time with Kate at Life in Pieces: 26/30 days with crafting time = 87%

Stash Reporting with Donna at quiltpaintcreate
Fabric added this month: 1/2 yard
Fabric used this month: 2 7/8 yards
Fabric added year to date: 8 3/8 yards
Fabric used year to date: 16 yards
Net fabric used: 7 5/8 yards

FFO Challenge Tracking: 
Stitching projects: no changes = 41 finishes waiting to be FFO'ed
Quilting projects: +1 new quilt top, -1 finished quilt = 9 quilts waiting to be finished

Thanks for stopping by and see you again soon! 

Comments

What a beautiful quilt you created for your son's girlfriend, Jennifer! It sounds like you had a very busy June from StitchCon to time with your family and friends.
Kate said…
You had a busy, but fun month. The girlfriend quilt turned out beautifully, your son has a very good eye for color. Enjoy your vacation, hope you can fit in some stitching time along the way. Great stitching metrics for June!