Thankful for my hobbies - November 2023

I love fall and I really love November - this time of year makes me want to spend weekends at home creating, and I usually take some time off around Thanksgiving, which also gives me additional time to stitch and sew. 

This November found me finishing quilt, crochet, and cross stitch projects and surprisingly included some costuming work as I helped with the final prep for the high school musical (The Wiz) - it was way out of my wheelhouse, but I had a great time. It was also so fun to see the costumes on stage when we went to the show. 

Sewing feathers on a cape! 

On the quilting side, I finished the pumpkin patch pillow that I started at my retreat in October. I quilted the pillow top and then did an envelope style backing - the pillow is 24" long and the best pillow I could find was 22", but I think it still looks pretty good. 
Pumpkin Patch pillow, pattern by Kimberbell

This was my only quilting finish in November, but I did spend quite a bit of time piecing blocks for a new quilt and I quilted two more projects - I plan to get binding on them soon, so they should be a finish before year end. 
Reindeer in progress

On the stitching side, I have four new fully finished items and three finishes. For the FFOs, I started with a few older projects. This little stitch (it is about 3"x3") has been on my design wall for a long, long time. I thought I would make it into a flat ornament, but changed my mind as I was looking through my trims one day and found the perfect purple to match. It sewed into a quick pillow and I added the chenille trim with glue. He will be super cute in my bowl of Halloween decorations. 
Vinny Vampyre stitched in 2022 on mystery green fabric 
with DMC threads and button from pattern

The next finish is mounted on a box frame with magnets - I debated for a long time how to finish this piece, but I think it looks really nice like this. I mounted the stitching on batting-covered mat board and then added some chenille trim. This one was also stitched in 2020. 
Love is all you need by Sam Sarah Designs
Stitched on 22ct. Peoria Purple with DMC and Wildflowers threads

The next finish was stitched last year and has been an FFO-in-progress since the summer. I seemed to take one step at a time and I am not sure why I didn't just bite the bullet and finish it more quickly. Anyhow, I am glad to have it finished now. This was a kit that I bought at Craft Gallery. 
Ooh la la Scissor Fob kit by JBW Designs

The last finish was framed at my local Michael's and was stitched earlier this year - I went in during one of the framing sales and found the perfect rustic-y frame for this one. It is a brown/grey frame and I think it complements the colors of the design well. I hung it up right by my stitching chair the day I came home with it and I enjoy seeing it each time I come into the room. 
National Parks Birthday by Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery

The three pieces that I finished stitching were two new finishes and one that I've been working on for a while. First up is Philanthropic Pumpkin by Hands of Design. I missed out in getting this kit when it went on sale last year, so was lucky to have a friend who loaned hers to me. I have the finishing supplies on order, so hope that this will progress to an FFO in December. 
Philanthropic Pumpkin by Hands on Design -
stitched on a mystery linen from my stash with called for DMC threads

Mr McGobbles was a total impulse start after I spent some time looking around Melisa's blog. I've heard about her free patterns for a long time and thought it would be fun to stitch one up. I stitched this piece on 18 count Oatmeal Aida and I really like how it turned out. I picked out a piece of velveteen to make this into a pillow and it is on the way with my other finishing supplies. Isn't this guy cute? 
Mr McGobbles by Pinker n Punkin 

Last up is a Mill Hill kit that I started during StitchMaynia - I enjoyed stitching this one and really like the sparkle that the beading adds. I put the frame for this one on my Christmas List, so if Santa sees that, I should be able to FFO this by year-end or early in 2024. 
Camping Out, a Mill Hill kit

The last crafty segment is crochet - I am hit or miss on crochet but have found I tend to do more of it over the winter. I saw this super cute pattern on Helen D's flosstube last year and then we she showed it again this year, I knew I had to make it. This is my first amigurumi and it turned out bigger than I expected...not sure if it was yarn size, hook size, or how I crochet. Regardless of the size, I think it turned out really cute and can't wait to add this to the Halloween bowl next year. 
Pocket Monster Frankenstein by Blue Rabbit Toys 

The best part of the month was time spent with family - I took my son on his first college visit to Rose Hulman in Terre Haute, IN - he liked the school and I think it was a great start for him to begin thinking about what he wants to study and what kind of school he wants to attend. 
The next day, my daughter came home for the long weekend and it was so great to hug her again. We hadn't originally planned to bring her home given the cost of airplane tickets, but they dropped at the last minute and she jumped on a 5am flight to spend a few days with us. I think the dog sums up all our feelings about having her home for a few days. She's back at school now and we will see her in mid-December for her winter break. 
Last up is family at Thanksgiving - we spent the afternoon/evening and next day with my parents and my cousin and her family. It was great to be together - lots of food, hugs and laughs. 
Thanksgiving 2023

We will finish up with the stats for this month. 

Stitching time with Kate at Life-In-Pieces - 25/30 days with at least 15 minutes of crafting = 83%

Stash Reporting with Donna at quiltpaintcreate
Fabric added this month - 0 yards
Fabric used this month - 1 7/8 yards
Fabric added year to date - 16 1/4 yards
Fabric used year to date - 26 3/8 yards
Net fabric used - 10 1/8 yards

FFO Challenge Tracking: 
Stitching projects: +3 finishes, -4 FFOs = 35 projects waiting to be fully finished
Quilting projects: no new quilt tops, no finished quilts = 12 quilts waiting to be finished

Hope that you are enjoying the fall and near start of winter season - I am looking forward to many nights and some extra days of stitching and sewing in the month ahead and wish you lots of happiness and crafty comfort through the holiday season. 

Comments

Kate said…
Such fun finishes! You had a really productive November. Glad that your girl got to come home for Thanksgiving. Good luck to your son with his college search. They grow up so fast don't they? Hope you have time for more stitching and family time this month.
What a wonderful post to read about your November, Jennifer! It sounded and looked like you had a productive month on the crafting front plus awesome time spent with family. I am glad your daughter was able to get home for a quick weekend. Enjoy the month of December! I look forward to seeing what you create.
Carol said…
November isn't my favorite month, but I'm glad you enjoy it, Jennifer! I'm so happy that your daughter unexpectedly got home--I'm sure that gave her an extra little boost to get through these next few weeks and finals. Hard to believe your son is already looking at colleges, but those last couple years of high school go by so quickly.

Once again, you amaze me with all of your finishes in so many different categories! I especially love your framed National Parks--the frame is just perfect. And your Camping Out finish is darling--I'm sure Santa will bring you the frame at Christmas time :)

Hope these days pass quickly until your daughter's return. I assume she gets a nice long winter break? That will be fun for you both. ♥