September 2023 Recap

It's my favorite time of the year when the weather starts to cool and we can leave the windows open - we didn't get that for all of September, but had a lot of pretty days. It is also lovely in my basement because it is one of the few times of the year it isn't cold down there. You know what that means? I finished a quilt! 

Urban Pods by Sew Kind of Wonderful is a quilt that I started a long time ago...way back in 2014. The quilt top was safely stored away for almost nine years and I finally pulled it out to quilt it earlier this year. It was the project called in January for the AP&Q UFO Challenge and it only took me until September to finish it. I custom quilted it with curved rulers and freehand quilting and I am so pleased with how it turned out. This will be one of my State Fair entries next year! 

On display at my quilt retreat in mid-October

A picture of the quilting from the back

It's so nice to have my first UFO of the year completed - and I am hoping to get to a few more before the end of the year. I started another quilting project in September and it will be in my October reveal as it wasn't finished yet by the end of the month. 

On the stitching front, I had a great month. I finished two items and then fully finished four (including one of the first two). First up is Landscape by WorksbyABC - I saw this pattern at market and we picked up some for the shop (Persnickety Stitchers in Zionsville, IN) and then I offered to stitch it for a shop model. It only calls for four colors and was fun to stitch...mostly. I did get a little tired or stitching the same motif over and over again as I got near the end, but I think it was worth it, I love the end result and have a plan for the FFO - it includes a sander, some paint, and foam core - we'll see how that turns out! 

Landscape by Works by ABC
Stitched on 32 ct. Smokey White linen with the called for threads

My second finish was also an FFO - I stitched Fabric and Flosstube by Helen D (eastcoast.crafter on Instagram) on 32 ct. Parchment with threads similar to the called for. I finished it as a pillow for my friend Michele for her birthday. I also got to surprise her at Craft Gallery on her birthday shopping trip - we had a great weekend stitching together. 
Fabric and Flosstube finished as a pillow 

Me and Michele enjoying our stitching time

I had three more finishes in September, two that I planned and the third that wound up to be a surprise. Over Labor Day weekend, my mom and I spent an afternoon going through all of finished but not fully-finished stitched pieces and compared them to our finishing pieces, random frames, etc. I had a list of about 8 pieces to finish that I had finishing pieces for, so I decided to get going! First up is Penelope and her Peeps from the With thy Needle Easter book. I stitched this one on 28 ct. fabric with Sulky threads and finished it with fabric using mat board. I may just put it in an easel like this or I may use magnets to attach it to a piece I have. 
Penelope and her Peeps by With thy Needle 

Next up was a hoop finish. I pulled some shiny (non-cotton) fabric from my stash to wrap the hoop and then finished the back with a piece of wool. The fabric was used for the bow and hanger too. It's a 4" hoop, so a bit larger than other hoop ornaments, but I think it will look great on the tree. 

Reindeer from White Christmas by Primrose Cottage Stitches
Stitched on 25 count. Platinum lugana

The last FFO was a total surprise at Craft Gallery. I found this frame in their inventory and I thought it was the perfect color and fit for this piece I stitched ages ago (2016!). I left it on the table while shopping and they came and asked me if I wanted to have Paula frame it while I shopped - yes, please! So I left with a fully finished piece and I just love it. So happy to have one of my oldest UFOs complete. 
Sleigh Bells Ring by Meme's Quilts
Stitched on Oatmeal Aida with called for DMC

It was really a great month that included a trip to Ohio and a trip to San Francisco (good stitching time on the plane) in addition to having lots of tennis games for my son. He finished his season at the end of the month and it was a good season for him playing mostly Singles 3. I really enjoyed watching him play and can't believe the season is over so quickly. 
Serving during a game

Here are the official stats for September: 

Stash Reporting with Donna at quiltpaintcreate
Fabric added this month: 1 1/4 yards
Fabric used this month: 1 1/8 yards

Fabric added year to date: 7 3/4 yards
Fabric used year to date: 15 5/8 yards
Net fabric used: 7 7/8 yards

Stitching Time with Kate at Life in Pieces
22/30 days with at least 15 minutes of crafting = 73%

FFO Challenge Tracking: 
Stitching projects: +2 finishes, -4 FFOs = 38 projects waiting to be fully finished
Quilting projects: -1UFO finished = 9 quilts waiting to be finished

Hope your fall has started well. I will be back soon (sooner that I was for the September report) to share all my October adventures. 

Comments

Jennifer, you had another fabulous month. What a beautiful quilt you finished! Your stitched pieces and finished finishes are all quite lovely. I really like the landscape piece. Can't wait to see what you accomplish in October!
Kate said…
Urban Pods turned out beautifully! Good luck with it at the fair. Congrats on all the stitching finishes this month. Hopefully you've got a good start on some finishes for this month.
Carol said…
You've had another beautiful and creative month, Jennifer! Love that quilt and the quilting on the back is amazing! Landscape is very pretty, but I know repeating that motif so many times would have driven me crazy, too. Love the way you finished the Fabric and Flosstube pillow--the measuring tape is such a cute addition to the middle. The Easter finish is my favorite--that finishing fabric is just perfect! I really need to stitch that series next year. Cute Christmas finishes, too! Hope your October is going well--hard to believe there is only one week left of it. Have a great evening ♥